What's on the smoker today?

Too much vinegar? I lived there for 25 years and never did develop a taste for it.

I have taken a liking to Stubb’s. Original, Smokey Mesquite and Sweet Heat are all good IMO.
Grew up eating ketchup based KC style bbq sauce almost exclusively. Probably wasn't till my 20s before I had Carolina style sauce and absolutely love it for pork. I also eat salt and vinegar potato chips so have a high tolerance for vinegar. I have found it's not for everyone and a good ketchup based sauce is usually more palatable for a wider range of people.

Too much vinegar? I lived there for 25 years and never did develop a taste for it.

I have taken a liking to Stubb’s. Original, Smokey Mesquite and Sweet Heat are all good IMO.
I think it just depends on the base rub. Like for the apple honey rub it needs a tangy sauce. The thicker heavier stuff just doesn’t seem right.

I think it just depends on the base rub. Like for the apple honey rub it needs a tangy sauce. The thicker heavier stuff just doesn’t seem right.
I like to take original Sweet Baby Rays and cut it with apple cider vinegar to use as a mop sauce for pork butt the last few hours. It knocks the sweetness back a bit and adds just the right amount of tang once it's all pulled.

Grew up eating ketchup based KC style bbq sauce almost exclusively. Probably wasn't till my 20s before I had Carolina style sauce and absolutely love it for pork. I also eat salt and vinegar potato chips so have a high tolerance for vinegar. I have found it's not for everyone and a good ketchup based sauce is usually more palatable for a wider range of people.
Alabama is known for its mayonnaise-based white sauce from the Tennessee River Valley, but west-central Alabama joints like Dreamland and Archibald's in Tuscaloosa use a tomato-based but mustardy/vinegary, thinner sauce that is fantastic on fatty pork. Give it a shot if you ever happen to be in the Great State.

The original Dreamland became famous as the rib shack Bear Bryant would take out of town sports reporters to after games. It has become a bit more of a touristy chain these days, though. Archibald's, however, is the locals' favorite. Years back when I lived there, the only two items on the menu were ribs and white bread.

Trimmed 20lb of skirt steak today. Saved the trim to mix with deer this season and am cooking two for fajitas tonight. Should have enough to save a bag or two for hunts this year. Fajitas are great frozen in a food saver bag boil it make a little instant rice a few tortillas great camp dinner option.20240615_122544.jpg20240615_124932.jpg20240615_125520.jpg20240615_130518.jpg

Trimmed 20lb of skirt steak today. Saved the trim to mix with deer this season and am cooking two for fajitas tonight. Should have enough to save a bag or two for hunts this year. Fajitas are great frozen in a food saver bag boil it make a little instant rice a few tortillas great camp dinner option.View attachment 329843View attachment 329844View attachment 329845View attachment 329846
Looks like some quality dinners right there. Do the cheese balls add some texture?😁😁

Back