Caribou Gear Tarp

What to do with a Hog?

It's pork. Perhaps a smidge leaner than what you get in the store, but honestly depending on where they are and what they're eating, they can be nearly identical. I'm from Alabama and have eaten plenty of wild pigs; they're delicious if you don't overcook them ;)

I smoked a hindquarter last Sunday from a small 100lb sow I shot the week before in the north Georgia mountains. They are so much leaner than domestic pork that I never have much luck getting the meat to pull, but if you like sliced pork it is as good as any anywhere.
A88F1A0E-4517-4712-A6FA-0FAA14EBFD39.jpeg

I always brine my wild hogs and if plan is to eat selection of both size and sex matters when you shot. Congrats on some fine swine, glad it was successful trip.

Howdy from Texas. Cut the hog up into pieces and then throw it on the BBQ pit, cooking with mesquite, sauce it, cover, and cook til done. Any sausage you try to make will need some domestic pork fat added. Wild hogs are very lean, no fat!!! No bacon!!!
If you get a small one, cook it whole on the pit. Damn good meal!!!

See if Jesse Griffiths has any recipes. He is a Chef in season 10 and says he enjoys cooking hogs.
He has a great cookbook out called “the hog book” that’s all about butchering and cooking feral pigs. I’d definitely recommend it. Some great stuff in there.

I smoked a hindquarter last Sunday from a small 100lb sow I shot the week before in the north Georgia mountains. They are so much leaner than domestic pork that I never have much luck getting the meat to pull, but if you like sliced pork it is as good as any anywhere.
View attachment 198496
Fwiw I put little pats of butter between the muscle groups, cook it for a little while and then keep it wrapped in foil. If you want to get REALLY fancy you can take the foil wrapped quarter and wrap it in beach towels, then let it sit n a cooler for a couple of hours.

Eat it. Use Butter, Bacon fat, Bacon wrap. They're lean, they eat roots, acorns, etc. My wife usually eats everything I hunt. Her favorite has been the Sow we harvested last year. I plan on getting another couple this year. The Hogs can be a bit "intense" on flavor sometimes. Nothing a smoker can't cure. Just make sure you cut out any glands from the meat. I think there are about 6. For sure in the Hams one on each side, but don't quote me. I trim off anything that doesn't look good.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I leave it in the cooler for 7 days. I drain the bloody ice each day and on day 7 I butcher and air seal anything i'm not making right away. Replace the ice as needed.

Some of the cleanest tasting pork i've ever had. 10x better than any pork you'll buy at the store. No preservatives, steroids, or antibiotics. Talk about organic and farm to table.....lol Plus, you harvested it yourself. I think that alone makes it taste great.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back