MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

What is your favorite brand of AR-15

In your original post you mentioned "home defense" twice. What we are trying to convey to you is if you want an AR for fun at the range and coyotes go get one and have a blast. If you want a home defense weapon there are better choices than an AR. ARs were never designed or intended to be a home defense weapon.

For example:
Can I run a NY cab company with Freightliner Semi Trucks? Sure, is the best choice? Nope

This is a funny thread. I can't comment on a 20 gauge without a stock, but a 12 would be an absolute terrible idea in my book. Shotguns have some serious kick, especially if it's a pump. A shotgun without a butt stock is a recipe for high muzzle blast and not much control if you ask me. All my shotguns are semi auto and they are all min. 26 inch barrels. I could use my trap gun, but with a 90/10 POI, I would probably shoot right over the top of the intruder's head.

Your self admitted lack of gunfighting experience kind of takes the wind out of this opinion.

Moving on, if you want to put your hands on the rifle before you buy (which I support), what are your options locally to choose from? Bushmasters are pretty decent, stay away from their carbon stuff. You definately don't need to break the bank to get a serviceable AR. Without knowing what's around, I would lean towards a Daniel Defense rifle over a Bushmaster though, and you can probably find one on a shelf somewhere near home.

A. IMO never use an AR platform as home defense.
B. Under $1000....um, not gunna happen IMO.
C. Get a bullpup and you're not going to get that for under $1000
D. Get a Tavor, it's going to cost you $2000
E. Use a shotgun or hand gun you already have for home defense.
F. Still get a Tavor cause they are awesome. Just came out with a 308 version.... :)

AR's work great for home defense...if you don't mind going through 5 walls and hitting your neighbor's dog...or kid.

Not an AR kind of guy, but have fired quite a few.
Can only comment on the accuracy of some. Of what I shot, the Sig's and rugers held the best groups. The bush masters shot the worst.
None gave what I would call tack driver groups, but shot good 1 1/2" or so . Ammo could obviously have been a factor. All were 5.56 and all had scopes mounted properly by myself.

Really liked the Ruger piston operated.

I have too say that being a former Army guy myself, though only served 6 years hear in the states, I have never thought of an AR as good home defense. But to each their own.

I have a youth model 20 ga. REM. 870 with butt stock removed and pistol grip installed. Love it and recoil isn't a problem.
It stays loaded with #4 shot.

One thought though, if you want a carbine , how about a new upper for your existing AR ?

Just my opinion.

A new gun is always great fun. Go for what makes you happy.

Guess we were trained differently. I can clear a house just fine with my M4. It won't shoot through 5 walls, maybe 1. It carries more rounds than your 9mm or 12ga. And I can drop you at 500 yards, Marine Expert Rifleman. Defend your home as you see fit and I'll take care of home. Both my boys have M4 s in there homes.
Oh ya, mine's a RockRiver upper and lower, DPMS barrel, ACOG and Nikon P223 sight ( both quick detach), Timney trigger, and a boatload of other tricks. This is my rifle, there are no others like it.

My current Dept (S.O.) issues Rock River SBR for the SRT team, and Rock River 16" for the road Deputies. We use the SBR for clearing houses, and use the shotgun (Rem 870 with stand-off device) for breaching. The road Deputies are trained in perimeter work for SRT Rolls, so the 16" barrel is more practical. My previous "deployment" with NOPD Swat, I carried an MP-5 9mm, or Benelli Super 90 13" barrel (my preferred entry weapon ). For Less Lethal, a Remington 870 loaded with bean bag rounds was used.
In a civilian situation, most of the shoulder weapons you can choose will probably work, but there could be better choices. Home defense with a .223 or similar might not be ideal (or suggested) if you live in an apartment building. If you live in a rural area on 10 or 20 acres, longer reach might be needed, and overpenetration can be negated by using a lighter, more explosive bullet in the AR type rifle.

If the OP is trying to get someone to talk him into buying another AR for home defense, I have to agree with most responses that a shotgun with reduced loads (for practice and defense duty) would make a better choice. The AR is "tacti-cool", and high on the "chicks dig it" scale, but a shotgun with slugs can be an effective longer range (50 yards) weapon, and up close- You won't need to double-tap someone when using it.

Last edited:
Bushmaster was bought out a few years ago by Cerberus Capitol and is now part of the "Freedom Group". They are manufactured alongside Remington, Marlin, DPMS, and a few others.

Windham Weaponry is owned and operated by the folks that used to run Bushmaster.

AR's and parts are the cheaper now than any time in the past 10 or so years. Brownells had an Anderson 300BLK complete rifle for $350 a few days ago, they have an Anderson carbine in 556 for $450 now. Certainly not top shelf, but perfectly functional and very modestly priced. You should be able to build a pretty nice AR (sans optics) for a grand right now.

Yes, AR prices have dropped a lot. I remember the time when a stripped lower was selling for $500, but now a local gunshop has a lower (not a known brand) for $79.95 It would be a great starter for someone to play with, but it is recommended to stay with a brand name. At least the holes will be drilled straight in the receiver.
Local Cabelas (Gonzales,La.) ran an ad offering the S&W MP15 for $549. They are decent rifles.

Last edited:
You have several options for AR's under $1000, the majority of the colt models, Dpms, Rock river, and several S&W models. It is a buyers market right now.
My Dept. rifle is DPMS 16.1 barrel carbine length gas. Wasn't my recommendation but they were a low bid and after going through them they have been very dependable Guns. The optic is a Vortex sparc II, again wasn't my first choice but they have been very good optics, I recommended the aimpoint pro but again budget was a issue. We are was Streamlight TLR-s lights and have been very happy with them.
If you're worried about overpenetration (I don't) I would recommend hornady TAP ammo or even use a 55gr VMax.
If you're going to use it for room clearing in your home defense scenario get used to running the butt stock all the way forward on the gun, so I would recommend that you have your red dot optic mounted as far forward on the receiver as you can. This is if you choose to run a red dot optic. If you're just running Iron sights still have a butt stock on the way collapsed it'll save you from banging it around going through doorways.
Everyone has their preferences I would recommend a weapon for home defense it would be
1.a handgun with some type of light stream light/ surefire 2. AR with light and red dot if you like that 3. Shotgun.

As far as brands I would recommend:
Colt 6920 830.00 at buds just a quick Google search could be a found cheaper
Colt expanse cheaper model
S&W M&P line have prices ranging from around $1000 down to around 600 for the M&P sport II.
Then DPMS, rock river, stag all have numerous rifles in your price range.

I found an Armalite M-15 light tactical carbine for less than 500 dollars new (going out of business sale). They had 1 left last night. I think I am going to pick it up today if it's still there. I haven't read really any bad press about the company or the gun and for that price, I think it's a no-brainer.

I found an Armalite M-15 light tactical carbine for less than 500 dollars new (going out of business sale). They had 1 left last night. I think I am going to pick it up today if it's still there. I haven't read really any bad press about the company or the gun and for that price, I think it's a no-brainer.

Jump on it.

As others have mentioned why don't you just get a new carbine upper and slap it on your existing lower? Rock river is good IMO, but there is any number of decent AR-15's out on the market now. I personally have a Palmetto State Armory that I put together some years ago. I have had zero problems with it. I too would prefer a shotgun for home defense, but I understand that some guys think they need 30rnds, to each his own. IMO we are currently living in the golden age of the AR, prices are so cheap right now and so many quality options to choose from.

I got my DPMS oracle carbine for around $500 out the door with BGC after my military discount at the gun shop.(It's longer than my pistol grip home defense shotgun)

Last edited:
I picked up the Armalite today for 514 w/tax out the door.

I built an AR carbine a few years ago for my little boy, chambered in 6.8SPC, for his first hunting rifle. I was able to put together a nice rifle for under $1000. I built it using a combination of parts. The lower from Palmetto State, the upper was Aero, the barrel from AR Precision, free-floated handguard, magpul stock. My little boy helped put it all together, and I think we both learned alot more about his rifle than we'd ever know had we just bought it off the shelf.

Joey shooting.jpg

My favorite AR... The one I built!

It was a fun (and relatively easy) project. I purchased a SLR from my LGS and ordered everything else online and had it shipped to my house. It may have ended up costing me a little more and taking a little more time, but I was able to hand-select every piece on that rifle and learned much during the process.

Most of my parts came from BCM. As long as the parts were in stock, shipping was reliable and expedient.

I hear ya on the AR forums....I get good info from some good peps here via pm

Found this online..titled mall ninja;)

View attachment 72504

All you need on that is a bayonet, and you're "Good to Go":cool:

Never fails to amaze me when I have someone show up at our Range for "Public Shooting Day' with a similarly equipped AR platform. They take a short barrel rifle that weighs 4 pounds, and turns it into a 15 or 16 pound monstrosity that they can't even carry around.

Last edited:
Here's my 2 cents.

There's a whole lot of WTF in this thread. For as much good info I've read here about bullet selection and construction im surprised to read people talking about an AR shooting through houses. Also, IMO racking the slide is about as smart as uncle joe teling people to shoot two blasts off the balcony. Why would you want to give up your location and weapon choice? If someone's in your house do you want them to know you have a weapon and where you are or would you rather have the element of surprise on your side?

You should be the only one to know what works best for you and your situation and what your most comfortable with, especially in a high stress siuation.

I have a large, open layout in my house. My primary hd weapon is an AR for this reason. If length is a concern buy/build a pistol with a brace. As far as what brand to look at, I'd stay away from Bushwacker just because it's owned by the freedom group. I'd stay also stay away from Rock River because they along with Springfield Armory just got caught up throwing Illinois gun rights under the bus while looking out for themselves.
There's a ton of high quality parts out there cheaper than they've ever been. You can build a quality AR for cheaper than a crappy AK. Then you'll know the gun inside and out and become more comfortable with the operation. If you just want to buy one, get a colt or spend a little more and get something a little nicer like a Daniel Defense. An aimpoint pro or similar and a streamlight would make a great choice but play with everything and get what works for you.
Above all-TRAIN!

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htcooke
Back