Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

What is the 1 rifle you regretted buying or wished you never had bought?

When I was about 16 I bought a 32-40 winchester from a friend. I shortly found it wouldn't do much and shells were really hard to come by. Lesson learned!

Maybe I got lucky, mine shoots 1/2 inch with hornady 120 gain gmx outfitter loads and about 3/4 inch with hornady 143 gr eldx precision Hunter loads. How many loads did you try? Seversl of the other loads i tried were nothing to write home about.

I haven't tried many yet. But 1.5" at 200 yds is great so I don't have any issues with it.

I had my heart set on a Browning X-Bolt, short action, .308 or 7mm-08. Went with the 7mm-08, but there were multiple things I just couldn't get over:
1. Rifle weight/design caused the muzzle to jump when fired (I prefer how my Rem 700 Sendero in 7mm Rem Mag and Rem 700 30-06s recoil over this 7mm-08 X-Bolt)
2. The safety is different from my other firearms - I'm a Rem 700/Rem 870/Ruger 10/22 guy
3. Made in Japan (plenty of good U.S.-produced options; #'Merca)
4. The three-lug bolt provides a short throw and it's as smooth as you're going to get for a three-lug, but there is still that minimal "click"
5. The "light recoil" of the 7mm-08 wasn't justified the way the rifle handled the recoil. I could maintain my sight picture more effectively with my 30-06s and 7mm Rem Mag
I took deer with it two years in a row, sold it and I know its current owner took its third deer.
AWESOME rifle, for what it is. And the only rifle I've ever sold...

This thread has totally destroyed my crush from afar of Remington 7400s. Curious if nothing but love for 7600s?

For me, Remington Model 8 in 35 Rem. Didn’t group on paper very well, but was Minute Of Forehead every time a round ejected.

Mauser 98 in 308 Norma was great at destroying scopes. Forgiven due to coolness factor.

Browning A-Bolt Hunter in 270. I WANT to like this rifle so badly but it has been so unlucky every time I have hunted with it. And I go back that day I bought it 15 years ago as a teenager and knew that I wanted the 270 Winchester Featherweight. Never forgiven that Bass Pro salesman who sold me on the cheaper gun.😡

Last edited:
Nosler m48 Liberty in 6.5 cm. Had a sticky action and was finicky on ammo. Wasn't worth the $$

Tikka T3x .30-06. Took forever to find a hunting load that worked. Maybe my expectations were too high, but I wanted something around MOA. Found the right load/bullet eventually, but I still think I've sacrificed terminal performance to get there.

This beautiful rifle here, the new Savage 110 Classic, has become one of those rifles. I bought it unaware that the "threaded muzzle" was done with (relatively) odd 9/16x24RH threads. Upon realizing this, I had to roll the dice and have a suppressor mount custom made for it... and remind myself why I don't gamble. Although it looked good and shot through the custom brake fine without the can, the first shot with the suppressor attached put a 200gr. ELD-X through the front of my Sandman right before the fall bear opener.

0723201637-01.jpeg

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back