Caribou Gear Tarp

What have you had to use from your FAK?

Which categories of first aid gear have you had to use? (Select all that apply)

• OTC Meds (ibuprofen, imodium, benadryl, etc)

Votes: 31 62.0%
  • Adhesive bandages (band-aids)

Votes: 34 68.0%
  • Blister bandages/tape

Votes: 29 58.0%
  • Gauze

Votes: 16 32.0%
  • Splint

Votes: 3 6.0%
  • Tourniquet

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • Compression bandage

Votes: 7 14.0%
  • Tools (tweezers, scissors, nail clippers, etc)

Votes: 32 64.0%
  • Other

Votes: 14 28.0%

• Total voters

np307

Since first aid kits have to walk the line of preparedness vs space constraints, I was curious what items everyone has had to use from their kits. I figure it might help some if they're building their own kit or supplementing a pre-made kit to know what to stock more of. For me, I've used moleskin, finger bandages, pain meds, imodium, and tweezers. Thankfully nothing crazy.

Back in 1984 I cut my right second finger to the bone with an axe. The crew had just arrived in the heart of the Elkhorns for a two week stint trail maintenance. I sewed myself up with a curved needle in the horse first aid kit and some sterilized hair from my riding horse's mane. Fortunately, thanks to a bad car wreck in the Army ten years earlier I couldn't feel much on the back of that finger. Cleaning the wound was the worst part. Tying it off left handed wasn't much fun either. Assholes on my crew wouldn't help me. They wanted to go back to town.

I don't have a first aid kit at the trailer. Guess I should.

I keep it in my FAK, but not sure if it counts. I went camping with some friends who took their elderly dog on a too long hike in the Red Desert. Dog just said "f#@% it. I'm tired, thirsty, and hot" and wouldn't move. Broke out my emergency blanket and four of us held a corner to provide shade until the pup was sufficiently rested and could walk out.

Never thought I would actually use one of those things.

I’ve used and replaced pretty much all of the small injury / sickness stuff at least once or twice. I’ve never needed a tourniquet but I still wouldn’t ever leave it behind. It only takes one occurrence of needing it and not having it to go to the “happy hunting grounds”.

Tourniquet for sure. A couple seasons ago with 2 bulls down I ran a Havalon into the inside of my thigh above my knee. Best I could come up with was ratty old 2” square band aid.

One of those ohh shit moments.

Mine isn’t so much a FAK, as an emergency kit. Tourniquet, quickclot, needle and thread, tape, electrolyte powder.

My “other” is Neosporin. I always seem to get little infections on a finger or two while on a hunt, and that stuff really helps.

I keep it in my FAK, but not sure if it counts. I went camping with some friends who took their elderly dog on a too long hike in the Red Desert. Dog just said "f#@% it. I'm tired, thirsty, and hot" and wouldn't move. Broke out my emergency blanket and four of us held a corner to provide shade until the pup was sufficiently rested and could walk out.

Never thought I would actually use one of those things.
I pack a contractor garbage bag. Threw away the space blanket as too small to wrap up when is cold out and too drafty if a breeze.

Nearly cut off a knuckle while breaking down a deer. Lot of blood there on that one. Only time I had to use gauze and a compression bandage.

After I marked my choices, I remembered I had to use gauze and super glue the time I cut my leg with an axe and the time I sliced my thumb open field dressing a deer. Then someone mentioned Neosporin, I use that a lot. Then there are the bee sting relief pads. They don't really work but it's kind of a phycological thing. The time I cut my thumb, when I got home the neighbor kids started throwing snowballs at me. When I returned fire, I reopened the cut and hit one of the boys in the face with a blood-soaked snowball. He thought I had killed him. Kinda made it all worthwhile.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rds
Back