What boots to use?

Doublegunner

So it looks like I'll be heading to eastern montana for muley's this fall. We should be there in mid November. Temps look pretty cold so was thinking about the right boots to use. I usually like to hoof it when I hunt but I expect some sitting and glassing. I have some kennetrek's with 400 gram insulation. Is that good enough or should i get the 1000 gram models?

You will be fine with that. I have been in Northeast Montana in all of that weather (snow, ice, heat, etc) during muley season, and the Kennetrek 400s were fine, no problem.

IMO, the only insulated boots suitable for hunting are pac boots with removable wool felt liners. You can pull the liner, rinse it out and get rid of the smell. I'm not so generous to Elk that I would want to carry stinkfoot around to let them know where I am. I don't wear pac boots unless it gets really cold or I will be sitting in a tree stand.
Those boots with built in insulation are not for me at all. Buy a larger boot and wear two pairs of heavy wool socks, then you can wash out the stinkfoot every night to the dismay of Elk.

Back