What Bird Dogs do in the Off Season

HAHA.. Like Owners like pets.

PS, Bird season isn't over yet though, is it ?

Well, the season is over for me anyway. I didn't even hunt birds this year and didn't buy my bird license. But you got me wondering so I looked it up and you're right...pheasant, quail, and chukar is actually open until tomorrow, in eastern Washington. It's never gone that late before...it's always been Dec 31. That's good to know. I'll plan on hunting birds with the new Brit almost through the end of next January. Cool!

It was kind of hard to get away this year with the new baby being born Jan 9th. Plus my GSP is too old and after one day of hunting he's done. The Brittany I just got 2 weeks ago. 1 1/2 years old, already trained, and housebroke...only $300. Couldn't pass up a deal like that. (the guy was moving to Alaska and didn't want to bring the dog)

Bird season is over here, but Axl and I went to the field with a couple deer damage permits in my pocket. Got to the propoerty and there dind't seem to be much of a problem, so we passed. Well it was also -3, so gutting and processing didn't seem like a fun way to spend the rest of the day.

We did find a few birds that needed some flushing, so Ax did get in some exercise.

Attachments

• P1010665 (Medium).JPG
    P1010665 (Medium).JPG
    77 KB · Views: 95
  • P1010654 (Medium).JPG
    P1010654 (Medium).JPG
    17 KB · Views: 97
  • P1010658 (Medium).JPG
    P1010658 (Medium).JPG
    67.5 KB · Views: 97
Maybe next month. Still have until the 15th of next month, although I probably have plenty to get me through this year. Also have 2 cow elk tags to fill and won't feel bad about giving up some pronghorn, mule deer and whitetail to make room.:D

I've always wanted to go back to Montana and hunt those sharptails. Maybe if this new dog turns out to be any good on birds I'll do it. My GSP has his moments, but it's frustrating when the first half day of the first day of a hunt I spend by myself, with him out in front who knows where and how far away, hunting birds all by himself. |oo

I knew better than to buy a field trial dog but I did anyway. I've had this new Brittany out in the field a few times in the last couple of weeks and she's really showing some promise.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back