West River SD Hunt - 8 pts

hansontyrel

I have 8 points in SD for West River Deer.

Does anyone have experience with decent units in SD? I have never done a solo hunt, or a western buck hunt. I am extremely green when it comes to finding units and analyzing walk in areas etc. I have been buying points, expecting this day to come and read forums etc, but now that it's time... I have anxiety about the whole thing, haha.

Any help, helps. Thanks ladies and gents.

Have you checked the GFP site to see how those points stack up against draws? 35L is a very sought after unit. Most of Harding and Perkins have a good share of public land with subsequent pressure. Not to add to your anxiety but it is hard to tell from one year to the next just how good or bad a unit will be. Drought has affected a lot this last year but there were islands of great conditions as well. In my mind, when you get serious about Mule deer, you need to go to Harding. There is a lot of pay hunting there but also a lot of public. Sometimes its just luck of the draw. Sad thing about going to a new place to hunt is the first year might just be a learning year. Kind of sucks when you have to patiently wait to draw the tag. Try to have fun while you are here and enjoy the experience.

I am in 35A and yes there is lots of outfitting and lots of pressure but at the same time quite a bit of public and believe it or not some very big deer are shot every year on the public. Don't come on the weekends and think out of the box a little. The ones that I have known about that were big mature deer were where a person wouldn't necessarily think they would be. Best of luck.

Harding, Perkins, even Fall River can get you a nice deer. Think outside the box, glass and put some miles on the boots

35L is not guaranteed with 8 points, 27A is. I have shot a couple of nice mulies there. Good odds in 35A and C if I remember right.

Thank you everybody. Looks like I have a lot more homework to do, and I will have to work on getting over my anxiety and just pulling the trigger on an area and trying it out. It will be an 1400 mile round trip solo trek, so Cheers to good luck!

Im sitting on 7 points right now hoping to hunt 35L one time. Looks like it will be a few more years.

Are any tags ever guaranteed in SD? I thought that it was a bonus point (cubed) state.

Back