Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

West Gallatin River corridor at risk

Straight Arrow

Gallatin County Department of Planning & Community Development  311 W. Main, Rm. 108  Bozeman, MT 59715 Phone (406) 582-3130  Fax (406) 582-3135  [email protected] NOTICE OF FLOODPLAIN PERMIT APPLICATION NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN that the Gallatin County Floodplain Administrator will consider a floodplain permit application from Jeff and Jirina Pfeil to conduct work in the floodplain of the West Gallatin River associated with development of the Riverbend Glamping Getaway. In summary, the proposed project includes repurposing an existing building, installation of access roads, utilities (water, wastewater, power, fiber optic, and natural gas), a wastewater lift station, a public water supply well, minor grading, and development of sites with non-permanent structures to serve as overnight accommodations. The project will occur at 475 Gateway South Road, on Tracts 1 & 2 of Certificate of Survey 2901, in the NW¼ of Section 11, T03S, R04E, P.M.M., Gallatin County, MT. A copy of the application is available for public review online at https://gallatincomt.virtualtownhall.net/planning-community-development under the “What’s New & Happening Now” Tab or in person at the Gallatin County Planning Department, Room 108, 311 W. Main, Bozeman, MT. Written comments will be accepted through December 28, 2020. Please contact the Gallatin County Planning Department with any questions, (406) 582- 3130.

The notice above warrants attention and submittal of comments to thwart this really bad development plan for a fragile floodplain riparian area in an island of the Gallatin River in Montana.

The owner projects occupancy of 6 year round employees and up to 228 campers on this sixteen acre mostly floodplain campground property.
This significant mass of potentially 234 people on this small mostly floodplain riparian tract will result in untold, unrepairable adverse consequences forever.

This proposed sixty-three site campground with gift shop, office, employee dorm, coffee shop, fly shop, tiki bar, lounge and roads, camp site pads, parking, and extensive utilities and other glamping amenities and service areas will block an important piece of a West Gallatin River wildlife corridor. Consider the large number of vehicles which will enter, depart, and are parked at this campground on a daily basis. This development will destroy the food, shelter, security, and open space which has comprised important wildlife habitat along the river for centuries. The adverse impacts are certain, but unpredictable in extent and long term consequences, for this property and for those neighboring and downstream.

If you value the importance of the Gallatin River, a public waterway natural resource which is the source of enormous pride and prosperity to Montana, I ask you to voice your opposition to this bad idea.

Following is the letter sent by Madison Gallatin Chapter of Trout Unlimited:

Mr. Sean O’Callaghan
Gallatin County Planning Department, Rm 108
311 W. Main St.
Bozeman, MT 59715

RE: Pheil Floodplain Permit (F2020-015) Riverbend Glamping Getaway Application

Dear Mr. O’Callaghan:

The Board of Directors for the Madison, Gallatin Chapter of Trout Unlimited would like to comment on the above cited Floodplain Permit Application. Our Board represents over 850 members of the fishing community in Gallatin County.

The mission of Trout Unlimited is to conserve, protect and restore coldwater fisheries and their watersheds. We are not opposed as an organization to growth and development. But, Trout Unlimited views this glamping proposal as obtrusive, offensive, and detrimental to the health of the Gallatin ecosystem. In addition, potentially harmful to the health of Montanans living in the Gallatin Valley.

Rivers are dynamic and change course within their floodplains on a frequent basis. As growth and development occur within our County, there is a tendency, even hubris, to believe that man can prevent or control channel migrations within the floodplain. When control of channel migration is attempted the resulting negative effects cost both the taxpayer and the aquatic resource.

We see this Glamping proposal as a totally misguided attempt to abuse the Gallatin Valley’s environment, aquatic resources, and our good sense. To propose this type of development on an island in a river as dynamic as the Gallatin is ludicrous.

Throughout the application, Mr. Pheil and his representatives acknowledge that the island will flood and have done what they believe is necessary to mitigate the effects of that flooding. In their myopic attempt they seem to have forgotten the second law of thermodynamics- entropy. While Mr. Pheil knows flooding will take place, he fails to acknowledge the devastation that will occur because of this development.

We encourage you to allow historical facts guide the decision to deny this application.

For example, we know that the river will rise above the banks again, as it has in the past. The plan indicates there is a pond on the property fifteen feet deep. The pond’s bottom is much lower than the river’s bed. Water flows downhill and during an over-bankfull event, which is a natural and regular occurrence, the river could easily capture the pond causing severe erosion and increased bedload movement downstream. This bedload will adversely affect headgates, downstream landowners’ properties, and bank destabilization. This kind of event occurred with the upstream low-head drop structure failure in the 1990’s with devastating results. Additionally, a great deal of the island and this development will disappear, causing negative impacts to downstream channel sinuosity.

Early in 2014, an ice jam occurred on the west channel of the Gallatin River, causing flood waters and ice to cover most of the island north of the road between the two bridges at Gallatin Gateway. Neighbors, who were having trouble accessing their homes, engaged a contractor with a trackhoe to break up the ice. The contractor was able to “unclog” some of the ice, which allowed for waters to flow over more than half of the area included in this application. Ice damage to manmade assemblages is very real.

Whether damage is done by ice or flooding, the potential exists to erode the proposed roadways, their gravel and pit-run bedding, as well as the buried gas, water, and sewer line infrastructure, and the electrical posts that will be placed at each of the approximately 60 glamping sites. That damage can take place in a very short time.

Mr. Pheil has stated his staff will remove “the wheeled trailer frame” structures prior to any predicted flood events. What about the unpredicted rain-on-snow events that can cause unexpected flash flooding within the system? Winter ice jams that break free upstream in the canyon during the coldest temperatures of the winter are another common, unpredictable event that will cause damage. In subzero temperatures lots of things break and go wrong. The potential for one of the “mobile” structures to end up in the river is much higher than the application indicates.

Vehicle traffic to the site presents predictable negative impacts that should be considered. Petrochemical pollutants such as grease, brake fluid, anti-freeze, and potentially gasoline or diesel, leaked or spilled will freely migrate either overland into the river, or percolate through the thin topsoil into river alluvium and thus the water course. All these products are lethal to fish and other aquatic organisms. These fluids will ultimately be pumped with irrigation water onto farmer’s hay and grain crops. Sixty or more vehicles per day over the course of the tourist season will result in a great deal of pollutants.

Another major issue of concern for Trout Unlimited and our members is the amount of water removed from the Gallatin River’s system as a result of this proposed development. Stahly Engineering’s report indicates the proposed sewer lift station will remove 22,231 gallons of water per day. While the proposal indicates a well will supply water to the development, that withdrawal will directly affect downstream irrigators, households, the fish, and all aquatic biota. As you know, there is connectivity between ground and surface water, and while the effects may not be felt in the immediate area to the development, they will impact downstream users.

The Board of Madison/Gallatin TU feel that this proposal is not only injurious to the Gallatin River and its aquatic system but may even impact our constitutional right to a clean and healthy environment. We ask that you immediately deny this application.

I am sad to see this significantly risky development with adverse impacts to the Blue Ribbon trout stream West Gallatin River get less attention from the Hunt Talk crowd than the question about how much elk can be packed into a certain size cooler! ? :(

Gallatin County Department of Planning & Community Development  311 W. Main, Rm. 108  Bozeman, MT 59715 Phone (406) 582-3130  Fax (406) 582-3135  [email protected] NOTICE OF FLOODPLAIN PERMIT APPLICATION NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN that the Gallatin County Floodplain Administrator will consider a floodplain permit application from Jeff and Jirina Pfeil to conduct work in the floodplain of the West Gallatin River associated with development of the Riverbend Glamping Getaway. In summary, the proposed project includes repurposing an existing building, installation of access roads, utilities (water, wastewater, power, fiber optic, and natural gas), a wastewater lift station, a public water supply well, minor grading, and development of sites with non-permanent structures to serve as overnight accommodations. The project will occur at 475 Gateway South Road, on Tracts 1 & 2 of Certificate of Survey 2901, in the NW¼ of Section 11, T03S, R04E, P.M.M., Gallatin County, MT. A copy of the application is available for public review online at https://gallatincomt.virtualtownhall.net/planning-community-development under the “What’s New & Happening Now” Tab or in person at the Gallatin County Planning Department, Room 108, 311 W. Main, Bozeman, MT. Written comments will be accepted through December 28, 2020. Please contact the Gallatin County Planning Department with any questions, (406) 582- 3130.

The notice above warrants attention and submittal of comments to thwart this really bad development plan for a fragile floodplain riparian area in an island of the Gallatin River in Montana.

The owner projects occupancy of 6 year round employees and up to 228 campers on this sixteen acre mostly floodplain campground property.
This significant mass of potentially 234 people on this small mostly floodplain riparian tract will result in untold, unrepairable adverse consequences forever.

This proposed sixty-three site campground with gift shop, office, employee dorm, coffee shop, fly shop, tiki bar, lounge and roads, camp site pads, parking, and extensive utilities and other glamping amenities and service areas will block an important piece of a West Gallatin River wildlife corridor. Consider the large number of vehicles which will enter, depart, and are parked at this campground on a daily basis. This development will destroy the food, shelter, security, and open space which has comprised important wildlife habitat along the river for centuries. The adverse impacts are certain, but unpredictable in extent and long term consequences, for this property and for those neighboring and downstream.

If you value the importance of the Gallatin River, a public waterway natural resource which is the source of enormous pride and prosperity to Montana, I ask you to voice your opposition to this bad idea.
Thanks for highlighting this one - I've just submitted a comment to the planning department. We shouldn't underestimate the strain of another ~200 folks using the riverbanks and planned campsites of the development on the surrounding area.

I kept my personal views on glamping out of the feedback...:sick:

I use campgrounds when I'm in Montana but prefer the ones in town and driving to the bird hunting. This kind of crap makes me sick to my stomach. I'm afraid it will pass as planners tend to feel golf courses and trailer parks are the best use for floodplain. Less damage to property in the event of a flood. I am not familiar with the location but wonder if stress on existing road access might be a point of attack. If it's a dirt road the dust created could make things hazardous. Look at going after them on all points ... especially safety.

What the heck is glamping? I thought it was a typo.

What the heck is glamping? I thought it was a typo.
Flashback to more than 10 years ago — “glamping” was a made-up concept which combined the words glamorous and camping to describe an elevated camping experience. However, as travelers picked up on the glamping craze, the concept spread like wildfire across the globe. So much so that in 2018, Merriam-Webster dictionary added the term to their official list of words. So, yes — “glamping” is now a real word!

Definition of glamping

: outdoor camping with amenities and comforts (such as beds, electricity, and access to indoor plumbing) not usually used when camping

The proposal for this development includes utilities comprised of natural gas, domestic water, toilet lines, electricity, and fiber optics to each of 63 "glamping" sites on mostly floodplain 16 acres. This guy has permits to run wastewater and fiber optics lines under the bed of the Gallatin River to his development. He has NorthWestern Energy applying for a permit to run natural gas line under the riverbed also.

Flashback to more than 10 years ago — “glamping” was a made-up concept which combined the words glamorous and camping to describe an elevated camping experience. However, as travelers picked up on the glamping craze, the concept spread like wildfire across the globe. So much so that in 2018, Merriam-Webster dictionary added the term to their official list of words. So, yes — “glamping” is now a real word!

Definition of glamping

: outdoor camping with amenities and comforts (such as beds, electricity, and access to indoor plumbing) not usually used when camping

The proposal for this development includes utilities comprised of natural gas, domestic water, toilet lines, electricity, and fiber optics to each of 63 "glamping" sites on mostly floodplain 16 acres. This guy has permits to run wastewater and fiber optics lines under the bed of the Gallatin River to his development. He has NorthWestern Energy applying for a permit to run natural gas line under the riverbed also.
That is NUTS! But in Boze Angeles it will probably fly.

I am sad to see this significantly risky development with adverse impacts to the Blue Ribbon trout stream West Gallatin River get less attention from the Hunt Talk crowd than the question about how much elk can be packed into a certain size cooler! ? :(
Not to necessarily make excuses but we all own coolers and elk live across a wide expanse of this country. I have zero idea where this is taking place and even less connection to it.

I personally have been struggling with an inner back and forth between private land habitat protection (i.e. contesting private land developments) vs private property rights (conservation easements), seems to me it's somewhat hypocritical to limit a property owners development rights in the name of conservation when they want to develop their land but then lambast opponents who want to impose similar restrictions on conservation easements (recent Newberg podcast with Hal Herring).

But development needs to have side boards to protect the public good. That much wastewater generated on the banks of a blue-ribbon river are certain to have adverse water quality issues.

I have been trying to steer criticism for several large private land developments in our neck of the woods towards proper mitigation instead of simply saying no. Maybe that's not the right move, but it's the one I think lends itself to broader appeal and hopefully more universal implementation.

I have zero idea where this is taking place and even less connection to it.
So nothin here for you; move on.
I have been trying to steer criticism for several large private land developments in our neck of the woods towards proper mitigation instead of simply saying no. Maybe that's not the right move, but it's the one I think lends itself to broader appeal and hopefully more universal implementation.
I completely agree. As this threat to the Gallatin River emerges, a large development is breaking ground not a mile away. That development is in an ideal location for growth, while the glampground development is replete with high risk to the floodplain and river. What has been suggested to the glamping developer is several small fishing cabins on the higher spot of this tract ... but then $$$$$ always seems to overwhelm any protection for pristine waterways!

Not saying I am for or against this, but...isn't there already several homes and areas of development on this "island"?

Not saying I am for or against this, but...isn't there already several homes and areas of development on this "island"?
Four residences on this two hundred acre island. Newest one is about thirty years old, oldest dates back to 1892. Those structures are all on higher ground above floodplain elevation. Floodplain restrictions prevent further residential building ... but somehow a "glampground" with units on wheels finds a loophole for development in the floodway / floodplain.

Last edited:
Back