Weird elk question

Carl 9.3x62

Seems like for whatever reason I usually shoot the weird critters. This year's elk was no different. For the most part the elk was perfectly normal, but the right antler had an offset pedicle and the tips of the rear points on both antlers still had velvet on them. I killed the bull in November. The antlers were rather unsymmetrical as well. The weirdest part was the almost non existant nut sack. It was there, but was a rather small lump. I thought maybe it was just cold out, haha, but than started to think it was something else like old age. Haven't gotten a tooth age back yet but I think he is around 8-10. Ivories and front incisors are worn to the gum. Or, maybe he had an injury at some point, which might be related to the offset pedicle? I also was told that the testicles may not have decended all the way. Who knows. Has anyone else seen or heard anything like this? I am currious if it is common or not. My buddy killed a bull in the area the same day, and he said his bull was well endowed. Also, anyone know how to rotate a picture on here?

Attachments

• 20181112_134438.jpg
    20181112_134438.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 355
  • 20181111_162723.jpg
    20181111_162723.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 352
  • 20181116_080553.jpg
    20181116_080553.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 344
In Mule deer, they call them Cactus Bucks and they have some spectacular antlers that may never shed velvet. This occurs when some injury causes the scrotum to be lost. I've been told that does will sometimes bite the scrotum off of the younger of two twins if they are both male. I cannot find anyone to verify this, however. index.jpg

In Mule deer, they call them Cactus Bucks and they have some spectacular antlers that may never shed velvet. This occurs when some injury causes the scrotum to be lost. I've been told that does will sometimes bite the scrotum off of the younger of two twins if they are both male. I cannot find anyone to verify this, however. View attachment 102628
Wrong. All bucks shed every year, whether they’re a cactus buck or not.

My buddies dad killed a cactus buck here in Va and from everything we researched they do not shed and stay in velvet. The elk doesn’t look like a cactus to me though.

Last edited:
I have a bull that had offset antlers also. I also have a bull on my trail cam on property that has the same thing. Different animals in different states. Look at the second bull in this trail cam pic. photo34.JPG

I read a study several years ago on cryptochidsim, undescended testicles. I believe those were just bulls that grew no antlers, but had the small scrotum like you describe. I would think an injury more likely and they withered.

I have seen offset pedicles before, there are a couple in the elk pics on this forum. I would be interested in the age when you get your tooth info.
Haha thanks for rotating the pics. The G&F lab aged my bull at 11.5 years old. On the downhill I think.

I've

In Mule deer, they call them Cactus Bucks and they have some spectacular antlers that may never shed velvet. This occurs when some injury causes the scrotum to be lost. I've been told that does will sometimes bite the scrotum off of the younger of two twins if they are both male. I cannot find anyone to verify this, however. View attachment 102628
I have killed a "cactus buck" too, but not anywhere the size of yours (awesome buck by the way!). A spike by two, with a few little points coming off the base, along with two knubs that looked like previous year's antlers. They both fell off within a day or two of killing it. That deer was in velvet in mid October, and definitely had no nuts. I have heard of other deer biting them off as well, mainly other bucks to reduce competition. Who knows if its true. I like to think he didn't quite clear a barbed wire fence, haha.

wyoboypt' cactus bucks do not shed their antlers they stay in full velvet.
It's a genetic mutation.Look it up.Many threads on this forum have had similar experiences.:cool:

“Cactus Bucks”
What are characteristics of “cactus bucks”
Cactus bucks are male deer with antlers with abnormal growth patterns that retain the
velvet due to alterations in testosterone level usually as a result of testicular trauma
,undescended testicles or from the effects of disease affecting the blood supply to the testicles
These animals often have multiple short misshapen points and excess “globs” of velvet hanging from their
antlers giving rise to the name “cactus buck”. These animals also have small or unapparent testicles.

https://www.dfw.state.or.us/wildlife/health_program/.../Cactus_buck_Q_and_A.pdf

Wyoboypt, Just FYI. Not sure what part of what I wrote you did not pick up on, but I just wanted to provide some supporting information.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back