Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Weatherby Mark V

35whelen

I have been looking into getting a new 38 cal rifle. I stopped one of my local gun shops and they have a Weatherby Mark V ARROYO RC in 338-378 WBY MAG the gun had a Nightforce 4-14x-.25.

Is the 338-378 a good round or just off the wall wildcat. Could I achieve the same thing buy sticking to a 338 RUM or 340 WBY Mag

I have read a few articles that speak highly of the 338-378 WBY. However, ammo, expensive and hard to find.

Oddly enough I ran into a rifle with a mounted Nightforce SHV and realized the price range it's in. Are they pretty reputable?

Ouch! Do you like to be pummeled or enjoy pain? I am wanting to get a .338 but am looking at a Federal or the boring easy to find ammo Win Mag. Anyway WBY makes great guns but WBY ammo can be hard to come by and is $$. Just my two cents.

I'd go with the .340WM. You'll need to handload for the .340 or the .338/378. I get 3050 fps with 250 gr Nosler Partitions ahead of 86 gr of RL 22. Its a safe load in my rifle, so start from below. I've taken antelope, deer, bears, caribou, moose and elk with mine. It does not ruin meat and its a "lights out" load. The .338/378 will do the same and more with lots more bang to the shoulder. If you like the cartridge, who am I to tell you not to get it if you want it. Both will do the job for you. GJ

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YellowCreek
Back