Weatherby Accuguard. Any real experience?

Wyo7

This may be a shot in the dark, but I have been looking at the Weatherby Accuguard in 300 win mag and there is very little real reviews out there. Does anyone have real world experience with these rifles. I am interested in what kind of accuracy you've been getting and what loads have been working best out of it. Weatherby guarantees a sub-moa rifle but I want to hear some real experience. I have shot quite a few weatherbys and LOVE them and thus am looking at this as the next rifle but want to hear some real world reviews.

Wyo7,,,, 2017, I purchased a used Accuguard at the Sioux Fall Scheels store. Unlike you, I have never been a Weatherby fan as years ago I had a couple of ultralites that went back to the factory for accuracy issues. I purchased the Accuguard for the rifle’s Leupold scope and not the rifle itself. With that said, I did grab a few boxes of the cheapest Weatherby ammo to see if the rifle would actually group as claimed. The rifle meets Weatherby’s claims and is one of the most accurate rifles that I have ever shot. As stated, I am not a Weatherby fan. I am also not a magnum fan! With those two strikes against the rifle it should have been sold or traded off a long time ago. Nope! The damn thing shoots to damn good to let go of and now has its place in the safe.
My thoughts on the rifle are that it is very well put together but heavy. I love the barrel, action, three position safety and stock. The trigger brakes like glass just a shade less than 3lbs.
I have not hunted with the rifle, range sessions only, but it handles and points very well. If it was a pound or so lighter, it would find itself tied to my pack as I climbed some far off ridge.

Mtnhunter1

Wyo7,,,, 2017, I purchased a used Accuguard at the Sioux Fall Scheels store. Unlike you, I have never been a Weatherby fan as years ago I had a couple of ultralites that went back to the factory for accuracy issues. I purchased the Accuguard for the rifle’s Leupold scope and not the rifle itself. With that said, I did grab a few boxes of the cheapest Weatherby ammo to see if the rifle would actually group as claimed. The rifle meets Weatherby’s claims and is one of the most accurate rifles that I have ever shot. As stated, I am not a Weatherby fan. I am also not a magnum fan! With those two strikes against the rifle it should have been sold or traded off a long time ago. Nope! The damn thing shoots to damn good to let go of and now has its place in the safe.
My thoughts on the rifle are that it is very well put together but heavy. I love the barrel, action, three position safety and stock. The trigger brakes like glass just a shade less than 3lbs.
I have not hunted with the rifle, range sessions only, but it handles and points very well. If it was a pound or so lighter, it would find itself tied to my pack as I climbed some far off ridge.

Mtnhunter1

I like to hear that from a non-bias perspective. Was it pretty well balanced? I’ve been looking at the browning x-bolt long range pretty seriously too but hate how barrel heavy they are. They won’t even stay on your shoulder with a sling which I don’t like and the trigger isn’t impressive on it by a long stretch. I’ve liked the Weatherby triggers I’ve shot.

Wyo7,,,, As I wrote above, the rifle handles and points very well. Yes, it has good balance and is not to barrel heavy. I should have noted that my rifle is chambered in 300 WBY and not WM. It is a very nice and very accurate rifle that will consistently print 1" or less five shot groups. The rifle came with Weatherby's Accubrake installed, recoils less than my 270s and is a real pleasure to shoot. I guess that the Accubrake should be strike three as I have never been a fan of a muzzle braked rifle! I'm getting older and the mountains are not getting any easier to navigate. Thus my carry rifles all lean towards the light weight side. That is the only reason why I haven't taken this rifle for a mountain walk. With that said, I have also learned to hold onto those rifles that are extremely accurate and this Weatherby Accuguard qualifies as one of those KEEPERS.

The nice thing is that it has a 1 MOA guarantee, and is indeed made by Howa. If you found a good deal on one, you should snatch it up (if it checks all the other required boxes.)
If it didn't perform, then you've always got the MOA guarantee to fall back on. But I'd be willing to bet that you'd be happy with it.

That being said, however, if you were trying to run one specific load through it, and it didn't like it (say, Berger, for example) then you might be screwed. I guess it depends on all your other requirement boxes like I mentioned before. The platform itself is solid, so I'd be confident in my purchase if I were you. Otherwise I'd be looking at Bergara, Tikka, or the Remington AWR if you were looking for that caliber and that sub $1000 price range.

I had one in 300 WBY. I really liked it shooting it from the bench, and actually fire my best 3 shot group with it that I have ever fired with a magnum (under .25”,right after break in). I was in love with it until I carried it in the field and killed a doe that required a rough drag back to the boat...

First of all, it just didn’t fit me the right way in the cheek piece in field positions.

Secondly, it was a little barrel heavy slung on my shoulder when dragging the deer back through the mud and over logs. I hadn’t noticed that until I got into a rough situation, as it wasn’t as pronounced as a bull barrel.

I wanted to love the rifle, and really did until I didn’t, if that makes sense. Personal fit is exactly that: personal.

While not familiar with the Accuguard, I have the Vanguard Series 2 in 243, 270, 308. This weekend I had a chance to put couple hundred rounds down range with the 243 (Leupold VX3i scope) and its a dandy setup.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back