Caribou Gear Tarp

Waterproofing Gear at Home?

WestKyHunt

Ever re-apply DWR or similar coatings at home?

I have previously used Atsko on a jacket and set of gloves with some success. Meaning it worked very well for 6 months, then tapered off in effectiveness.

Any other products that you have used with better results?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240117_094259_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20240117_094259_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    390 KB · Views: 5
I've used wash in nikwax tech wash, proof wash etc, works OK, but only for so long, mostly used on non hunting stuff cause it stinks a bit, but have used on certain hunting clothes and let them air out well. Haven't tried any others so nothing to compare to.

I've used Nikwax spray-on dwr on well-loved ski gear and it's seemed to hold up pretty well. According to some reading I've done, the spray-on is preferable to wash-in for waterproof-breathable membrane fabrics (like Gore-Tex) where you want the DWR on the outside but don't want to gum up the membrane on the inside and lose breathability.

I've used Atsco and Scotchgard both with good results. I use it on my cold weather hunting clothing which is water resistant. It makes it even more resistant plus snow doesn't stick to it. I spray it about 3-4 weeks before hunting season and let em hang outside under the porch roof to air out. I spray em every year. Also helps keep blood and grime from soaking thru and wipes off easy.

O man this is a whole rabbit hole if you start doing research. A lot of the fabrics have different handling instructions. Keep them clean for starters as you will reduce the breathability by clogging the pores of the waterproof fabric. Also I do t want to say specifically but I remember learning some actually need some heat for the fabric to work properly. Gore-Tex actually says to put dry garment in dryer for 20 on low. Also says if using spray on wash then spray on while damp, hang dry then do dryer process mentioned.

O man this is a whole rabbit hole if you start doing research. A lot of the fabrics have different handling instructions. Keep them clean for starters as you will reduce the breathability by clogging the pores of the waterproof fabric. Also I do t want to say specifically but I remember learning some actually need some heat for the fabric to work properly. Gore-Tex actually says to put dry garment in dryer for 20 on low. Also says if using spray on wash then spray on while damp, hang dry then do dryer process mentioned.
Second that on the dryer - I think most brands recommend drying with heat to reactivate existing DWR. Another common misconception is that washing is bad for technical gear, when it's actually more important to keep the breathable membrane and DWR functioning.

I’ve wax treated cotton garments. I first started using Otter Wax and quickly abandoned that due to expense. Now I make my own using boiled linseed, paraffin and mineral spirits. Couple coats of that and it’s very water resistant and durable.

Has anybody used ReviveX? Noticed western mountaineering recommends their down wash and spray on DWR for their sleeping bags.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Avidsomething
Back