Washington, N. Idaho, Western Montana Gunsmiths?

Hammsolo

Looking for a quality gunsmith to tuneup my Tikka T3 300 WM. It’s a solid rifle that shoots well, but I want to hot rod it out. Looking to do muzzle brake, fluting, coating, tuning, and a new stock. Know anyone amazing? I really like to meet the people that do my work...

No personal experience but maybe Hells Canyon Armory in Lewiston, ID? He has been posting some great looking tikka’s on his Instagram. I’m hoping to get him a Remington action of mine in the next year

So what exactly do you mean by tuning? Trigger? I am going to strongly suggest that you refrain from fluting the barrel. If it already shoots well, I wouldn’t touch it because you run the risk of inducing accuracy issues by fluting a factory barrel. Muzzle break, coating, a new stock are a piece of cake. I understand wanting to meet the guy but what are you going to gain? Do you know what to look for? Pick any reputable gunsmith, box it up, and send it to him. Easy as that. If money isn’t an issue, send it to LRI...

And in all honesty, if you have any mechanical skills at all I would buy the stock and a prefit and do it all yourself. Just another option

No personal experience but maybe Hells Canyon Armory in Lewiston, ID? He has been posting some great looking tikka’s on his Instagram. I’m hoping to get him a Remington action of mine in the next year
I’ll check him out. Thanks

So what exactly do you mean by tuning? Trigger? I am going to strongly suggest that you refrain from fluting the barrel. If it already shoots well, I wouldn’t touch it because you run the risk of inducing accuracy issues by fluting a factory barrel. Muzzle break, coating, a new stock are a piece of cake. I understand wanting to meet the guy but what are you going to gain? Do you know what to look for? Pick any reputable gunsmith, box it up, and send it to him. Easy as that. If money isn’t an issue, send it to LRI...

And in all honesty, if you have any mechanical skills at all I would buy the stock and a prefit and do it all yourself. Just another option
Thanks for the advice! I’m mechanical and have bedded a few stocks and will do the same on this one. I should have been more clear. I’ve met way to many sketchy “gunsmiths.” They’re worse than used car salesman; a good one is hard to find. Too many talk a good game, but deliver a lemon. I was pondering tuning up the action.

I don't know where you're located, so Pendleton OR might be out of the way, but I've used Oregunsmithing and have been very happy with his work. Also, I've had LRI, that Fire_9 mentioned, do some work with great results too. My favorite rifle was built by Short Action Customs in Ohio, I've never met Mark, but I love the rifle he built and hope to use him on another rifle build.

Thanks for the advice! I’m mechanical and have bedded a few stocks and will do the same on this one. I should have been more clear. I’ve met way to many sketchy “gunsmiths.” They’re worse than used car salesman; a good one is hard to find. Too many talk a good game, but deliver a lemon. I was pondering tuning up the action.

What to you mean by tuning up the action? I guess I’m just trying to gauge how much research you’ve put into this. If you plan on doing much to the action, you may need to swap the barrel as well

I have a lot to learn. I’ve only owned factory rifles and had a muzzle brake put on one. I didn’t know I’d need to do a barrel swap if I trued the action. I’d done a little reading, but clearly not enough. I have a Tikka T3 Hunter in 300 WM that I want to improve. I want it to be accurate, and be tough. The trigger is great, but the stock is soft as heck. I want a muzzle brake for improved accuracy and follow up. What do we you think? Thanks for the thoughts.

Muzzle brake, stock, and coating are no big deal. If it already shoots, I wouldn’t touch the action or barrel.

Dennis Olson in Plains, Montana is probably the best guy you could find in the region. I have 5 custom rifles he built and his work is not only affordable, he doesn’t take a lifetime to get it done...

967D5FB7-56A7-4815-B1EA-D983B8E11755.jpeg

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back