Vortex Vulture HD 15x56 Performance vs Razor HD 10x42

wannakillabigbull

So here's the deal:

I have a pair of Razor HD 10x42s and a Razor HD 16-48x65 spotter. I have my first Arizona elk tag in a very wide open unit with lots of glassing opportunity. I also hunt Colorado every year, sometimes high country and sometimes the western units with lots of oak brush. I read that 15x56s are great for all day glassing on a tripod. I don't have the money to grab a pair of high end ones this year, but could probably scrape up the cash to get a pair of 15x56 Vulture HDs past the wife. Does anyone have enough field experience with them vs Razor HD 10x42s to tell me whether the Vultures would be worth the purchase? Would the lower quality glass negate the higher power and larger objective lenses? My spotter is solid too, but worries about sitting all day using only one eye. I'm also aware that Swaros are way better, just working on a budget.

Thanks!

I've got the 15x56 Vultures and a pair of Zeiss Conquest 10x42s (probably similar in quality to your Razors). Here's what I'll say:

I got a great deal on the Vultures and thought I'd use them instead of a spotting scope because it's so much more comfortable looking though binoculars than a spotter (at least at my budget it is). The Vultures are not terrible, but they're not great either. A fair amount of glare glassing toward the sun, and image that lacks real, quality crispness. Because of that lower quality image, I get eye strain after a glassing with them for more than a half hour or so, which has defeated their purpose slightly. They were helpful though, in letting me get the better look I needed to go after a buck I killed last year--the lower magnification of the 10s wasn't quite enough. But if I had a spotter, it would have accomplished the same task, and you already have a spotter.

If you plan on using them as your primary glass to scan big country, you'd be better off sticking with the Razors to find the animals, then using your spotter for a better look. Also, if you're not putting your 10s on a tripod to glass, do that. Glassing with good binos off of a good tripod is an absolute game-changer.

I just bought the Razor 10's and have only used them once during low light.

I have the Viper HD 15's. They are pretty good. The Razors are more clear and sharper, but I still really enjoy using the 15's for hours on end. I leave them on a tripod and carry them basically all day. They are also one of the lighter and most backpack friendly 15x binos you will find. If we're gonna glass for more than 5 minutes I setup shop.

I leave my spotter at home most days. I don't think I would buy the Vultures. Your correct, in my opinion the razors clarity on a tripod would off set with the extra zoom/foggier lens on the vultures.

Also, if you're not putting your 10s on a tripod to glass, do that. Glassing with good binos off of a good tripod is an absolute game-changer.

I started using the tripod with my binos last year during my first coues deer hunt. As you say, game-changer. I will definitely be using the tripod from now on for any extended glassing I do. Well two votes so far for the 10x42 Razor HDs

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back