Vortex Razor HD Spotting Scope - 65mm vs 85mm?

joelweb

I've been using a Nikon Fieldscope ED50 for years to hunt mule deer. It's a great little spotting scope to carry around (super light) and the ED lenses are crisp, but because of the limited 30x magnification, I'm frustrated by not being able to take a close look at bucks over long distances. Also, the 50mm lens limits light collection at max zoom.

I'm currently saving up to purchase a larger HD scope so I can size up bucks that are a mile or three away. I'm looking at the Vortex Razor line and I'd like some opinions about whether I should go for the 65mm or 85mm scope?

I'm leaning towards the 85mm, because I feel like the 65mm is too similar to what I already have. Will it give me the reach that I'm looking for to see antler definition on far away ridges? With that said, the 85mm is bigger and weighs 9 oz more. I hate the idea of packing around this beast, but I'm prepared to do it when glassing big country.

Opinions are appreciated.

I had an ED50 with the 13-40 eyepiece and thought I had the cat by the tale. I sold it and put the money towards the swarovski 65mm straight HD with the 25-50x wide angle eyepiece. It's so much better than I could have ever hoped.

Sell whatever you have laying around and get it. I have buddy's who are dealers. I can get you a brand new one like mine for $2100. It's heavier than the ED50 but once I have that baby on the outdoorsmans tripod it is so the way to go. Once I get my dual mount for that so I can have my 10x42s side by side it's game over for the game I chase.

I'm serious. Go throughout your house. Sell stuf. Find the money. Go mow your neighbors lawn. Find the cash. Top tier glass on a steady tripod makes the hunt so much more enjoyable. People who say "this is good enough for me" or "I'm happy with" don't really know what they are missing.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JRP325
Back