Veterans Day!

I was picking some apples at the store yesterday. I heard a voice say, "It sure beats rotting pineapple and bananas"
Looked up and there was an old guy with a Marines cap. I recognized the combat bars. 8, and 3 the same as the ones I had.
"Damn, I thought I was the only one". I shook his hand.
He just said, "There are a few".
The ones that made it home alive. And still here.
He had seen my cap. Brown, Navy.
We blocked the fruit isle and talked for half an hour. Then he said,"I gotta hit the road." We exchanged numbers.

Got a call this morning, 0300.
"Morning Cheif". "Morning Master Sargent".
"I knew you would be up,today. You were always the 1st ready in the boats".
What? He remembers me?
The last patrol. He was there. He says he has some pics.
He will dig some out. He lives in SD.
We talked for an hour. About life.

I have not spoken to anyone from those days since 2001. And he is the 1st Marine that was at the base.

He is almost in Dallas and will be at a service today.
His son. A Vet.

God bless America.

I was picking some apples at the store yesterday. I heard a voice say, "It sure beats rotting pineapple and bananas"
Looked up and there was an old guy with a Marines cap. I recognized the combat bars. 8, and 3 the same as the ones I had.
"Damn, I thought I was the only one". I shook his hand.
He just said, "There are a few".
The ones that made it home alive. And still here.
He had seen my cap. Brown, Navy.
We blocked the fruit isle and talked for half an hour. Then he said,"I gotta hit the road." We exchanged numbers.

Got a call this morning, 0300.
"Morning Cheif". "Morning Master Sargent".
"I knew you would be up,today. You were always the 1st ready in the boats".
What? He remembers me?
The last patrol. He was there. He says he has some pics.
He will dig some out. He lives in SD.
We talked for an hour. About life.

I have not spoken to anyone from those days since 2001. And he is the 1st Marine that was at the base.

He is almost in Dallas and will be at a service today.
His son. A Vet.

God bless America.
That's cool as hell, Hank!

Especially this day, but most days I remember close friend and fellow Vietnam helicopter pilot, DON SELISKI, Master Army Aviator, UH-1 Huey instructor pilot, master mule deer hunter and Yellowstone agate collector.

CW-4 Seliski wore US Army green 1963-1998.
Most moving Taps ever: After fatally suffering cancer, he was being interred at Forsyth, MT, cemetery on a cloudy early May morning. Two Hueys full of grieving friends from Helena had been weathered-in at Billings, missing the funeral. But right after the hallowed folded flag was handed to his widow and the moving notes of TAPS began ... out of the clouds to the west was heard first faintly, then loudly, the reverberating WOP-WOP-WOP of Huey blades in the crisp cool air. The sights, sounds, and sense of moment literally and figuratively brought sobbing tears to my eyes!

RIP, Don and all Veterans we have lost.

We call it remembrance day in Canada. Today is most likely my last in the regular force (active duty). I've been thinking a lot about hanging out with "the boys" lately. Playing fussball, drinking near beers and watching stupid movies around a laptop that we would quote for the rest of the deployment.

My last stint in the Middle East was in an HQ/Advisor type role. Not the same camaraderie when you chill with senior officers but we still had tons of fun playing poker or karaoke. I created good bonds with the Palestinian troops I mentored. Got home in time for that part of the world to fall apart and who knows what's going on with those guys now after seeing their hometowns and refugee camps raided daily.

It's hard not to be all doom and gloom when every mission you have been on has failed, you have to focus on the impacts you have made, not the overall outcome. But regardless of all that, I'm home with my family, unlike many others who never will.

Last edited:
We call it remembrance day in Canada. Today is most likely my last in the regular force (active duty). I've been thinking a lot about hanging out with "the boys" lately. Playing fussball, drinking near beers and watching stupid movies around a laptop that we would quote for the rest of the deployment.

My last stint in the Middle East was in an HQ/Advisor type role. Not the same camaraderie when you chill with senior officers but we still had tons of fun playing poker or karaoke. I created good bonds with the Palestinian troops I mentored. Got home in time for that part of the world to fall apart and who knows what's going on with those guys now after seeing their hometowns and refugee camps raided daily.

It's hard not to be all doom and gloom when every mission you have been on has failed, you habe to focus on the inpacts you have made, not the overall outcome. But regardless of all that, I'm home with my family, unlike many others who never will.
I have to say you guys had the best chow.

Back