Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Venison Sausage Texture

I grind the venison once and the fat twice. This gives a little chunkier texture without chunks of fat. I did this after forgetting to grind the venison the second time a few years ago and I liked them a lot better. Tried it the following year with grinding the venison and fat just once but it wasn't as good to me.

The amount of water and the degree of mixing before stuffing will also affect the final texture

Most of what you needed has been said already. Dense emulsified sausage is coming from a combination of two things, fat ground too fine, and over mixing which also causes that fat degrade further.
For starters change up your grind. Cut the meat into smaller cubes and only grind once though the plate, 7mm will work for Italian sausage for example. If your grinding once mix the fat back or pork shoulder in, if your grinding twice only put the pork in for the second grind.

spread the grind out flat over the largest area of your mixing tray, spread the spices out of the whole thing and then fold it all together nice and easy, never squeezing it or balling it.

Would grinding once, seasoning, and grinding again to thoroughly distribute seasoning work? I was thinking after the second grind it could go straight into the stuffer

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back