Caribou Gear Tarp

Velvet Antler Care

fowl_minded

I have always been very curious to what it takes to protect the velvet on horns in the early archery season if you way in the backcountry. Is there anything a guy can put on them to preserve the velvet or is it just one of those deals if it is something your going to mount you might as well get some touch up velvet done by the taxidermist.

I talked to a friend that took a caribou 20+ years ago and the velvet still looks amazing. He mentioned that he packed up a salt solution (not sure of the concentration) and a hyperdermic needle. After the kill he pulled blood out of the velvet through visible veins, then pumped in the salt solution.

I haven't done anymore research on it - but if I were going to take something in velvet I would try to do the same. I was very impressed with how the velvet on my friends antlers looked.

Maybe some taxidermist's on here can shed some light.

Turpentine

Just saw something on turpentine last night on one of the hunting shows. Never shot anything in velvet that needed a taxidermist. Just passing on what I heard, you'll have to google it.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back