Valle Vidal, NM Spring Bear Hunt

Gaigebacca

I was the lucky guy to get the ONE non-res, non-guided spring black bear hunt in the Valle Vidal region of New Mexico. I have never hunted black bear or even been to New Mexico before, so looking for all tips and tricks of both spring bear hunting for spot and stalk, as well as any tips about the general region. I know the entire west side of valley is closed to hunting/hiking due to calving elk. With that in mind, would trying to make calf distress calls be a good way to try and call lure in some black bears? Any other thoughts, suggestions?

have they pushed the dates back any or is it still April? when I lived in NM it was way too early of a hunt unless it warmed up much earlier than normal for the bears to come out of hibernation. go as late as you can. I'd focus on the grassy slopes below the snow line. calf in distress might work too.

have they pushed the dates back any or is it still April? when I lived in NM it was way too early of a hunt unless it warmed up much earlier than normal for the bears to come out of hibernation. go as late as you can. I'd focus on the grassy slopes below the snow line. calf in distress might work too.

The season this year runs from April 15-May 20th. I was planning on heading out from Texas on May 3rd, so I could get in and setup camp on the 4th, and start hunting Sunday the 5th. Plan to hunt through the 11th.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back