Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Utah OTC elk

NorthAz

Im looking for any information on OTC elk tags in Utah. I heard they go on sale on June 16th. If anyone has any information on how and what unit to apply, and if the hunt is worth putting in I could use the help. I am use to rough terrain hunting if needed.

I'm sure you can find the info you need on Utah Fish and Game site.
Good luck

I have been hunting Utah for some time now and watch Utah posts carefully. I've also done plenty of my own research (every unit). I leave it to the locals.

The units where you can take any bull are units where there are either few elk and the DNR wants even fewer or there is so much private property that it makes it near impossible for a non-local to scout and put together a game plan. Nearly all the other units are spike only.

So, if you are in a position where you need to ask a forum where to go well your going to struggle at best. There are a very few exceptions but they do get tremendous pressure.

I have been hunting Utah for some time now and watch Utah posts carefully. I've also done plenty of my own research (every unit). I leave it to the locals.

The units where you can take any bull are units where there are either few elk and the DNR wants even fewer or there is so much private property that it makes it near impossible for a non-local to scout and put together a game plan. Nearly all the other units are spike only.

So, if you are in a position where you need to ask a forum where to go well your going to struggle at best. There are a very few exceptions but they do get tremendous pressure.
Thanks for the info

I have hunted both north and south slopes of the uintas (any bull units). They are tough to hunt because the areas are huge, but they also get a ton of pressure, especially during rifle season. I can't speak to utah spike only units. Hopefully others can chime in.

They go on sale July 16th. I think the best bang for your buck is to get the multi-season tag. You can hunt archery, rifle, muzzleloader, and extended archery. The archery tag is good in all general units, so spike only units and any bull units. You do choose when you purchase the tag whether you want to hunt spike or any bull units this is for the rifle and muzzleloader hunts. Keep that in mind so you know where your tag is valid after the archery hunt. It is hard hunting but being on the mountain is better than wishing you were. I say do it. If you are applying in Utah you have the small game license already. The spike units are generally the limited draw units so you can see some monster bulls but only shoot the spikes. It's a little pricey, $700 for the nonresident. But you can get 4 seasons out of it. Good luck.
P.s. the rifle hunt is very very busy, hunt the weekdays.

I hunt East Canyon, mostly for convenience. I try to get early season deer, OTC elk, and also put in for doe and cow tags. The seasons have a lot of overlap, so I can be hunting either sex deer or elk all at the same time to increase odds of encountering something. As others have said, it’s crowded. So it’s a very different hunt. More trying to find places where animals will get pushed by pressure and just hanging out and hoping things will get pushed to you. Opening day of elk rifle season last year, I stopped counting at 60 trucks parked at the trailhead at Big Mountain. If I didn’t live 10 minute drive from the area and get resident pricing, I wouldn’t hunt it.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back