Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Utah Hunting

If you have the money and would just spend it on something else it is probably worth it. Utah is actually one of the cheaper states to build points right now if you only buy a license every other year.

With that said, you need to expect to be applying for a LONG time before you draw. Utah is the first state I ever applied for other than Montana (where I grew up) and I currently have 8 points for elk there. In that time I've drawn 3 New Mexico elk tags, 2 Wyoming LE tags, 1 Arizona LE tag and have had enough points to draw the Colorado elk tag I want but I keep drawing other tags before then so keep waiting on the Colorado tag. Based on the odds and point creep I'm still looking at 6 years to draw a lower tier late rifle hunt, a lower tier early rifle hunt is still 10+ years away. The top tier hunts are probably still 20+ years away.

So, if you are in it for the long haul you could maybe draw one or two tags in your life depending on your age. They have some nice elk though.

I drew a archery tag last year (3 percent odds) and had a incredible time. Odds are low, not a bunch of tags but if you have the money then there's always a chance for a tag

I drew a limited entry elk tag in Montana in 2008 and 2012. I drew a sheep tag in Montana in 2017. I drew an expo Utah elk tag last year. I’m burning my 13 elk points this fall to hunt my home stare of Utah on an LE late tag.

I’d put in for as many tags in as many states as you can afford. Every season that passes is one more you don’t get back. And look at my history. Im just an everyday schlub like the next.

Keep these two things in mind. 1.cast as large of an “application net” as far as you can afford and 2.someone has to draw so it may as well be you!!!

Elk and mule deer is what i plan to hunt.

Are you just looking at LE units? and what kind of hunt do you want? Randy and Corey said they would rank Utah only in front of Nevada and Oregon (?) if money was a consideration. That being said it's my home state (moved away two years ago) and am in too deep to get out, but its sad to see how much longer I have until I can draw something good. But, there are plenty of other good tags out there to keep me busy while I wait.

For what it's worth...

Utah is not that expensive as a NR. It will be $175 this year for me and $110 next year. That's just over $140 a year and I am building points for elk, deer, moose, BH, DBH, MG, general season deer and bear. I will also live in Utah again in the next 10 years so I am playing a long game. You could do Utah deer and elk for $60 a year is you play the license right a stick to two animals. I think NV license is more than $140 without the app fees. Not sure how much CO will cost this year and I am spending more that $200 on NM apps. I am building points in WY, CO, UT, NV, AZ and apply for NM. I will drop CO when I draw my elk tag (19 points and still waiting for a 61 tag). I am also adding my son to points in most states so...It adds up. I will eventually end out being in just AZ, UT, WY, and NV all times 2 and that's a fair bit of change.

Do people think it is worth it to buy Bonus points in Utah?

It really depends on what you are going for.

If you are looking for the glory hunts, then you are needing to get lucky or wait.

Utah is a 50/50 system, which is a good system for a points system.

The issue is that in a lot of units the tag amounts are less than 4. Which means 2 go to the highest points and 2 go into the bonus point lottery draw.

Utah basically has points for everything as well.

There are 3 different deer pools: General, Dedicated, and Limited Entry.

General - In most units can be drawn every 1-3 years.

Dedicated - gives you 3 years of tags with a limit to harvest only 2 deer during that stretch. You can hunt all 3 seasons (archery, muzzy, rifle). You also have to do service projects are a requirement ~32 hours in 3 years.

Limited Entry - With the addition of some late ML hunts, there are options that are easier to draw. There are some premium draws that will take forever, because Monsters live there.

Elk in Utah is a good time. Limited amount of tag holders and potential at a boomer bull.

Antelope is not worth it, when compared to Wyoming; but if you are already putting in then what is another $10.

OIL - Moose, RM Sheep, D Sheep, Goat, and Bison are extremely tough to draw; but you do not have to have a guide to hunt them.

Another lessor known option is Swan hunting. 2-3 points gives you an opportunity to hunt tundra swans.

It really depends on what you want to do. Do you want to wait out for the Pauns or Henrys or do you want to take a late ML and hunt pre-rut Muleys with little competition. Do you want to hunt elk during the rut with a rifle or hunt elk before the rut with a bow. It really depends on what tickles your fancy.

Deer- I think it's worth it For a NR, especially the general seasons. Elk is probably a different story.

Back