Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Upgrade from a Tikka T3x 270

There are outstanding smiths across the country, I would recommend finding one within driving distance so you can sit down with them to come up with what will best suit you.

There are outstanding smiths across the country, I would recommend finding one within driving distance so you can sit down with them to come up with what will best suit you.

I live in the Northwest Suburbs of Chicago, IL. About an hour and half from Milwaukee. Will look around for good references. Thanks mate!

Is the .270 a shooter? Maybe just better glass on it. You won’t be able to tell the difference in the field between the .270 and a 6.5.

The .270 is definitely a shooter but since I plan to get a 6.5CM anyways for some off season range/precision target shooting (dual purpose rifle), don't want keep the money blocked in the T3x Hunter Walnut model that I have in .270. The 270 is a bit more recoil for extended shooting sessions at the range. Feels sad to let it go at only 40 rounds but sometimes it has to be done. Not very happy with the glass either, although perfectly fine, the dials a bit finicky and small to adjust on my scope - Leupold VX3i 3.5-10 40mm. My friend has a Vortex Diamondback 4-12 40mm and his seems much more clearer. At 100 yards, I couldn't see the holes from mine (unless its a shoot n see) but from his they were crystal clear, his is also easier to adjust with the bigger knobs/turrets.

Anyways....decided that will go with something factory made and ready and since my hunt is end of October and I have no time to mess around with starting a custom build and get it delivered within time. From the ones that could be relatively had sooner, I have the below options:

- Proof Research Elevation (their cheapest model) comes in at ~ $3000
- Christensen Arms Traverse ~ $2300 (but hearing some QC issues out of it in one off cases)
- Or Buy a Tikka T3x Camo in 6.5 CM and invest the remaining amount in a Swarovski scope.

I’d go with the Tikka and better glass. The other two are still mass produced rifles and don’t justify the price IMO.
This Tikka checks a lot of the right boxes IMO. I have a couple of hunting buddies that have them and they are impressive shooters right out of the box.

Anyways....decided that will go with something factory made and ready and since my hunt is end of October and I have no time to mess around with starting a custom build and get it delivered within time. From the ones that could be relatively had sooner, I have the below options:

- Proof Research Elevation (their cheapest model) comes in at ~ $3000
- Christensen Arms Traverse ~ $2300 (but hearing some QC issues out of it in one off cases)
- Or Buy a Tikka T3x Camo in 6.5 CM and invest the remaining amount in a Swarovski scope.

So you are planning on upgrading your Tikka T3x in .270 with a Tikka T3x Camo in 6.5 CM? Is it the Camo or the 6.5 CM that is the upgrade?

So you are planning on upgrading your Tikka T3x in .270 with a Tikka T3x Camo in 6.5 CM? Is it the Camo or the 6.5 CM that is the upgrade?

Its the 6.5 CM that is the upgrade. I feel like 6.5 Creedmoor is plenty enough for my hunting purpose (mostly deer) and will also be much more enjoyable for off season precision/target shooting fun.

I am considering the Tikka in 6.5 CM as it has the accuracy I need in pinch for the budget. Eventually will build a custom rifle around a custom action but that game is for later. If I can get a sub-MOA accurate factory gun that is also in consideration.

Now, coming to the question of Camo, I thought since I am getting a new rifle anyways, why not get it in Camo if its available. I like the Tikka Real Tree Camo color scheme in 6.5 CM (Model no. TFTT63LC103B ).

Wait....
Which do you want?
A hunting rifle, or a precision target rifle?
The 2 are very different firearms.

Hunting rifle. Not specific precision rifle. BUT, having said that, I just want the rifle to be enjoyable to shoot at outdoor open ranges for target shooting fun during the off-season (non-hunting). The 6.5 CM with its light recoil is a very good round to be used even in non-hunting target shooting purposes. The same cannot be said about .270 as it has a bit more of a punch/kick. Its perfectly fine for hunting and I like its long range flat shooting capabilities and oomph, but I wouldn't enjoy it in long shooting sessions at the range.

Last edited:
With an October hunt, I’d go with that .270 for this year and make plans for the new rifle after your fall hunting is over. You don’t need the stress of setting up a new rifle right before a hunt.

Agreed to this one too. Its better to take sometime and research, get the one I want, and set it up. Not much time left to do all that in the short span that I have. Not saying that it cannot be done but will be a stretch for sure.

If history is a teacher, thin barrels as used for hunting, do not make for good extended shooting sessions.
Been there, done that!
You want light weight & extended shooting sessions, get a Proof Research carbon wrapped barrel.
Otherwise extended shooting sessions are best served by a heavy barrel.
One that you wouldn't want to hump far from the truck.

If history is a teacher, thin barrels as used for hunting, do not make for good extended shooting sessions.
Been there, done that!
You want light weight & extended shooting sessions, get a Proof Research carbon wrapped barrel.
Otherwise extended shooting sessions are best served by a heavy barrel.
One that you wouldn't want to hump far from the truck.
Been thinking of that exactly. To get one of the proof research barrelled ones. They seem to have a good reputation in the precision shooting community.

I have hunted with several Tikka's for many years (.270 is my go to). Then I got a Christensen Ridgeline as a gift from my dad. the CA is a great gun, but I still prefer my tikka over it. To me, the tikka is a hunting rifle, and the CA is a range gun. The tolerances on the CA are so tight and "sharp edged" it makes me very nervous in the field. A little dirt and my frear is the gun will jam on me, it is also not as smooth to cycle. I also much prefer the short bolt throw of the tikka over the CA. I hunted one trip last year with the CA, and that will likely be my last time. I get peoples obsession with accuracy, but I think there is certainly a sacrifice that is made when it comes to "hunting reliability".

As mentioned if you want to upgrade, I would customize the Tikka to get exactly what you want and save money. I can tell you, my CA will be in my gun safe this fall and the tikka over my shoulder.

I have hunted with several Tikka's for many years (.270 is my go to). Then I got a Christensen Ridgeline as a gift from my dad. the CA is a great gun, but I still prefer my tikka over it. To me, the tikka is a hunting rifle, and the CA is a range gun. The tolerances on the CA are so tight and "sharp edged" it makes me very nervous in the field. A little dirt and my frear is the gun will jam on me, it is also not as smooth to cycle. I also much prefer the short bolt throw of the tikka over the CA. I hunted one trip last year with the CA, and that will likely be my last time. I get peoples obsession with accuracy, but I think there is certainly a sacrifice that is made when it comes to "hunting reliability".

As mentioned if you want to upgrade, I would customize the Tikka to get exactly what you want and save money. I can tell you, my CA will be in my gun safe this fall and the tikka over my shoulder.

That’s my experience too with my Tikka Hunter T3X In 270. The bolt smoothness and throw is like 5 times more expensive custom rifles. Also, very true to the part that it runs fine in the field. We were at an outdoor range and the Tikka ran fine non-stop. Some of the guys with their Remington 700 custom and other custom action fellows were having to clean their actions every now and then (due to the fine dust blowing).

Before you get rid of the 270 you have I'd get the limbsaver pad for $30 and try it out. I know you had another thread talking about recoil but you'll be amazed how much more enjoyable that rifle will be and in my opinion the ammo will be a lot more economical than a 6.5 unless you reload. That Tikka is an amazing gun and I just dont see you gaining much by going with the 6.5 over the 270 but ultimately thats your personal choice.

If i has a $2300 budget I’d be building a rifle. Then I could get exactly what I wanted

Before you get rid of the 270 you have I'd get the limbsaver pad for $30 and try it out. I know you had another thread talking about recoil but you'll be amazed how much more enjoyable that rifle will be and in my opinion the ammo will be a lot more economical than a 6.5 unless you reload. That Tikka is an amazing gun and I just dont see you gaining much by going with the 6.5 over the 270 but ultimately thats your personal choice.

The Tikka T3x Hunter already comes with a good enough rubber butt pad. Not sure if the Limbsaver is going to add anything there.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back