MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Unit 13 Elk New Mexico

newmexicohunter12

Hi y'all,
I got lucky and drew the unit 13 early archery tag. I am young to elk hunting and haven't been able to punch a tag yet. I am not asking for honey holes with 350 inch bulls, but just some spots to maybe hike into glass. I have used Onx Maps to narrow down a few areas, but any tips from more seasoned elk hunters would be nice. Let me know if anyone is wiling to help a young guy out that has yet to be successful.

If you are from Albuquerque, you should be able to get out and scout. Burn up some gas and start hiking. Time is getting short, you should already know where you are going to hunt By now. First archery season in that area will be a tough hunt even if you have vast elk bow hunting experience. The more pre-season “boots on the ground” scouting you do, the higher your odds of success. It’s just that simple. I consider scouting To be part of the hunt. If you haven’t yet, watch Randy’s e-scouting series. Figure out where you want to go for a particular scouting trip and work your plan. Consider that you will need every minute of every day of the season to fill the tag.

If you are from Albuquerque, you should be able to get out and scout. Burn up some gas and start hiking. Time is getting short, you should already know where you are going to hunt By now. First archery season in that area will be a tough hunt even if you have vast elk bow hunting experience. The more pre-season “boots on the ground” scouting you do, the higher your odds of success. It’s just that simple. I consider scouting To be part of the hunt. If you haven’t yet, watch Randy’s e-scouting series. Figure out where you want to go for a particular scouting trip and work your plan. Consider that you will need every minute of every day of the season to fill the tag.

Thanks for the constructive answer! I will get out to the unit as soon as I can to check it out before season.

Huge unit. Lots of public lands to hunt. Lots of PJ's to glass thru. Lots of elk. Should have water in some tanks this year.
Awesome, for the first archery season from September 1-14th, would you recommend sitting water if I can find fresh sign around a tank?

Awesome, for the first archery season from September 1-14th, would you recommend sitting water if I can find fresh sign around a tank?
If there is as much water as there has been this monsoon season, I would not sit water. There will be water around if it keeps raining like it has.
Ben said it ,get some feet on the ground. There are not many roads in reality in the unit. Get familiar with the few.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back