Turkey sights/scope

Flatlander14

Any sight recommendations for an old man? My father has an 870 he uses for turkeys and has been using tru glo iron sights. He’s been having some issues and is thinking of going to a red dot or scope. What’s everyone thoughts?

Burris Fastfire 3 or Vortex Venom are both good. I use the 3 MOA dot size. I get my 870s and 11-87s drill and tapped for the Burris Fastfire 336 Marlin base. That base works perfectly.

Never saw the need for any type of optics on a turkey gun where your furthest shot is only going to be 30-40 yards.

I don't totally disagree, but the old man is looking for an upgrade since he is struggling to the current set up.

Reactions: LCH
I use a red dot on mine. But not knowing what his issue is, I would make sure the sight is appropriate for his older eyes. I remember reading somewhere that having astigmatism can affect how you see a red dot. Don't know if other conditions can also affect how the sight picture looks.

No major conditions, just a victim of old age. Might try to pick up a cheap red dot and see what he thinks. Can always upgrade if it helps him.

Similar situation for me a few years back. Went from the hi-viz fiber sights to a Weaver saddle scope mount and red dot optic. Night and day difference, if memory is correct the saddle mount is around $30 at Brownells and simple to install.

If you are thinking economy, the likeliest suspect is the Bushnell TRS-25. Sometimes people get a lemon, but a good one will stand up to turkey loads. I bought through amazon so I could send it back for exchange easily. Good thing 'cause I had to. The second one is fine. Install on the vent rib with a mount like Aimtech Ribrider.

If more serious, better micro dots like Holosun or Leupold or Burris FF IV with shaped dots will be clearest and have long battery life. I'd mount those on the vent rib, too.

A third option is a big payload of small TSS pellets loosely choked. A three foot wide pattern with plenty of pellets in it is hard to miss with at normal ranges.

I installed a Steiner Quick Shot, it was free as it was laying in my uncles closet.

My father is fan, it has 4 choices of reticles, the large dot being his preferred. Thanks for the help everyone!

Never saw the need for any type of optics on a turkey gun where your furthest shot is only going to be 30-40 yards.
I'm not planning on upgrading this year, but when I do it will be because a reflex style sight solves the issue of not getting your head down on the gun or having to get sights lined up, which the adrenaline of a big gobbler can certainly disrupt. Plus, at 40+ yards that bead can really start to obstruct a lot of the turkey.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back