Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Tried the "sous vide" euro method

np307

So I don't have a turkey fryer or a stock pot big enough to use for boiling a skull. I've tried in the past with an undersized pot and ended up having to boil too long and the nose bones got brittle and I couldn't get the skull as clean as I wanted. So over the summer I saw this method posted and decided to give it a try.

I skinned the skull as usual and removed as much meat as I could as well as the brain. Then, I filled a 5 gallon bucket up with water and put some borax and dawn dish soap in there. I submerged the skull and then placed my immersion circulator (sous vide cooker) into the water. I set it for 140f and let it got for almost 48 hours.

Most of the remaining meat and tissue sprayed off with a water hose and some of it needed some picking and brushing to get off. A little warmer or a little longer would've probably been good.

After letting it dry I applied the cheapest and blondest hair dye I could find and let it sit for just under an hour. I rinsed it off, let it dry, and hung it up. I'm very happy with it.

Attachments

• 20201109_181337.jpg
    20201109_181337.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 47
  • 20201111_144233.jpg
    20201111_144233.jpg
    952.8 KB · Views: 47
  • 20201111_172212.jpg
    20201111_172212.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 47
Looks good. Did you leave it uncovered in the bucket while it cooked? How was the smell?

Looks good. Did you leave it uncovered in the bucket while it cooked? How was the smell?
Left it uncovered but did have the fan running. My pregnant wife who is very sensitive to smells never noticed any odor. Just the smell of the dish soap.

Make sure to take apart your sous vide unit and clean it thoroughly. It made a real mess of mine last year

I don’t think I would use a nice sous vide machine without having some way to separate the water from the nasty crap coming of the skull.

Make sure to take apart your sous vide unit and clean it thoroughly. It made a real mess of mine last year
I don’t think I would use a nice sous vide machine without having some way to separate the water from the nasty crap coming of the skull.
I took mine apart and there was no meat or anything else in the chamber. I just ran it through the manufacturer suggested cleaning protocol (water and distilled vinegar at 140f). Pretty simple. I didnt have any chunks of meat floating around in the water while it was circulating.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back