NEW SITKA Ambient 75

Trailhead etiquette

In Colorado at least, it is customary to leave a cooler in the back of your truck full of ice and Dale’s Pale Ale for your other fellow trail users. Trailhead treats we call them.

Now what trailhead will you be at again?

Reminds me of a time i was doing a wilderness mtn bike ride outside of McCall, Idaho. A little over half way through the ride, we got into an old burn area in which a micro burst had came through and really made tavel slow as we climbed over tree after tree. As daylight was running out, we had two options, either bivy in the back country (we were ill prepared for this option) or bail out to a differant trailhead and hope we ran into someone that could give us a ride back to our car. We chose the second option and by the time we got to the trailhead it was dark, cold and deserted except for one ford ranger pick up truck. After further invetsigation, we discovered that it had a cooler in the back along with several blankets and foam sleeping pads. Hey, it was a life or death situation and we were spent. So, we helped ourselves and were extremely comfortable unitl the sherrif showed up at 4am at the request of our wives. Nothing like the sherriff to ruin a good bivy. we left the ranger owner a note and compensated him well for the trouble. So, i always leave some stuff in my truck for others to use. You never know when you might help someone out.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MtJohn1234
Back