Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Traditions Nitrofire Muzzleloader

I haven't heard anything about that decision but I would imagine it will not be legalized in the Traditional Western states like CO. As a muzzleloader hunter myself, I'm apposed to it's use during a muzzleloader season in Colorado.
I have both a Hawken flintlock .50 cal and an inline CVA .50 cal. One of the things I enjoy most about my smoke poles is the need to know your weapon, the powder and projectile you load as you will likely only have one chance at an animal. After that first shot and the smoke clears you're doing two things, trying to identify what happened with the target and reload all at the same time.
What the NitroFire is trying to do, in my opinion anyway, is lessen the need to know your weapon, the powder and projectile. I would venture to say that the NitroFire can be loaded much quicker than any traditional muzzleloader and will shoot more consistently more like a high powered rifle would without the "need" to develop your own load and learn what a perfectly seated projectile feels like in your muzzleloader. Muzzleloaders are almost like a musical instrument, you can have 20 different people play it and each one will produce something different.
Just my two cents.

I think all muzzleloader seasons should be flintlock with a patch and roundball.

I think all muzzleloader seasons should be flintlock with a patch and roundball.
Depends on the state and reasoning.

CO it’s a traditional season, nitrofire and to a large extent inlines don’t square up to that goal. Though I don’t think my Knight has much on a compound.

In eastern states where it’s more about limiting the range of the projectile as a safety concern inlines make total sense.

Depends on the state and reasoning.

CO it’s a traditional season, nitrofire and to a large extent inlines don’t square up to that goal. Though I don’t think my Knight has much on a compound.

In eastern states where it’s more about limiting the range of the projectile as a safety concern inlines make total sense.
Fair point. Inlines are right on par with straight wall rifle cartridges and slug guns.

However for muzzleloader specific primitive-type weapons seasons-- flintlocks and patched roundballs. I could possibly warm up to sidelock percussion guns... possibly...

I say this as a guy that kills half of his deer during our early antlerless inline season. They work well, too well. A scoped modern inline is a single-shot 200 yard rifle.

Last edited:
Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisb970
Back