MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Trad Guys! What Fletching Configuration Do You Use?

Coop

I am going to be making a number of new arrows for my recurve in the next week or two, and I was just curious how most of you guys fletch your arrows. I recently listened to an episode of the push podcast in which they spoke with Cody Greenwood, who is very active in studies on arrow flight for trad bows. Two takeaways from it: Never use a 5 inch fletching because of the impact that wind will have on them, and a 90 degree 4 fletch configuration has a much better flight that a two fletch. However, they have not yet tested a 3 fletch configuration, which is what I planned on using so I wanted to see what everyone thought about 3vs.4?

Side note: I will be using the new trad vanes from AAE. Really excited to see how these things do!

I have always like 3 5" turkey feathers. Using 4 just takes more work, more expense. 3 has worked for a long, long time for a heck of a lot of people, so I guess I'm just following the crowd.

I have tried 4 fletch but it bounces off the shelf more than 3. If your arrow is tuned right and your brace height is correct, you should get good flight with minimal fletching. Less fletching means a faster, quieter arrow.

I use 4 inch 4 fletch, spouse uses 3 ,5 inch feathers. No issues for either of us. Pic only shows 3 feathers but it is 4 fletch. JoJan Multi fletcher for my use.
I also use bois d'arc footed shafts.

I mean 4 4" vanes will have more surface area than 3 5" so I really don't think you'd see a huge difference in wind drift. If you do 4 Fletch you could run them in a 75°x105° configuration to help with them kicking less.but if you are running the new aae's they should be quite a bit cheaper than feathers so I would just Fletch up a few different ways and see what you like best. It's a pretty cheap test that could save you time and frustration.

I use 3, 4 inch feather on FMJ’s with the jo Jan helical. If you google slo-mo archers paradox there are some pretty neat videos. The fletching hardly touches the shelf if at all. I’ve shot 5” straight, 4” straight and I’m on the 4” helical now. Seems to work the best for what I have now. I think having the correct spined arrows is more important than anything. I’m curious how the vanes will shoot. Are you shooting off of a shelf or a raised rest?

Attachments

• 40278226-78F4-4FD7-9982-B473B81DD99A.jpeg
    40278226-78F4-4FD7-9982-B473B81DD99A.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
I think having the correct spined arrows is more important than anything. I’m curious how the vanes will shoot. Are you shooting off of a shelf or a raised rest?

I will get them tuned up nicely and spend a lot of time on that portion to get them flying right before worrying about fletching. I will be shooting off the shelf. These vanes supposedly fly extremely true with less drag and noise than my usual feathers. Should be fun to test out!

I fletch x3 4" turkey feathers and shoot off the shelf. Left offset. Nothing fancy, but works fine with broadheads and field points

By no means an expert but I have 3x 5” feathers with a box of 4” to refletch when needed. Seems to shoot better than me. I know the feathers have high drag so the arrows slow fast, which is the only reason I was thinking slightly smaller arrows.

3 x 5” since 1983. Compound, recurve, longbow, selfbow. Aluminum, carbon, wood. Proper spine and tuning are 1000 times more important. I get good arrow flight, penetration, etc. if it ain’t broke...

I shoot 3-5" feathers on left helical. Prefer left over right as it just seams to work better for me.

I use this one - FMJ Taper 64 , Easton T64 now sets the new arrow shaft benchmark for bow hunting big game. And Im love it=)

Attachments

• my ar.jpg
    my ar.jpg
    209.1 KB · Views: 6
Don't overthink it.

I had an acquaintance once upon a time who made self bows and was serious competitor in the area stick bow tournaments. He once told me "if your arrow is perfectly spined (an impossibility) it will fly just fine without fletching."

I always used shield cut 4" turkey feathers. It didn't seem to make any difference whether they were full helix, 3 degree offset or straight.

I bareshaft tuned a set of Easton XX75s and am running a 250 grain head. I fletched mine with Gateway 4” parabolic feathers, some 90° 4 fletch and some 120° 3 fletch and don’t notice a difference out to 35 yards. I’ll be using the 3 fletch for hunting this year.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back