Too Early To Scout?

Bam Bam

Question for the more experienced Mulie hunters out there. I went out scouting this week. I located some deer, and hiked back to a possible glassing spot that I wanted to see in person- but am I wasting my time, scouting this early? Will the deer move so far away, or the conditions between now and mid-October change so much that I shouldn't even bother? When do good mule deer hunters begin scouting a new unit?

I think if you are in non traditional mountain country (rolling prairie, coulee country, badlands, etc.) that December can be a good time to do some long distance glassing/scouting to see the quality of bucks that made it through rifle season in that area. They won't be miles and miles away from those areas if they make it through the winter for the following year. Like @Hunting Wife said though, I would take it easy in January and February. They have enough shit to deal with besides people putting unneeded additional stress on them.

I planning on getting started in May this year. Even if its just getting a lay of the land for some new areas. The best time to scout for deer would be close to the season you are going to hunt them in.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back