Tipping

I tip; and well. That includes the serve yourself buffets. The cooks, wait staff, and bus personnel work their collective hind quarters off for the most part. Bar tenders, bar backs, and their clean up crews usually get paid a bit better than food service personnel and I usually drop a five spot at the end of the evening. They normally split tips at shifts end. Without tips food service employees don't support their families. I would estimate tips to average between fifty and four hundred percent of a waiter's hourly wages at the end of a week. I tip between fifty and a hundred percent for waiters and waitresses. Always under the plate. When the cook does an outstanding job I tell them so. SometimesI'll call forthe manager to compliment the service staff appropriately if I'm genuinely impressed;then I tellmy friends! :D

Never done it, just not the done thing here, heck I wouldn't even know how to do it, sometimes when we have a nice meal I would like to thank the Chef how do you go about doing that.

Is it not illegal to pay less than the Minimum adult wage, ?? Here thats $10.00 an hour, Heck with a 10% tip from all customers on top of that tax free, the service staff would make more than the owner.

Originally posted by kiwi hunta:
Is it not illegal to pay less than the Minimum adult wage, ?? Here thats $10.00 an hour, Heck with a 10% tip from all customers on top of that tax free, the service staff would make more than the owner.
The thing with that is that tipped employee's have a diferent minimum wage than non tipped employee's. IIRC minimum wage is around $5.00 ph and tipped employee's is around half of that.

I tip if the service is good and the waiter (ress) checked on us once or twice, but not 20 times. At the bar it's a buck with every order and around 20% for a meal. The way I see it is if everyone they wait on leaves a buck and they waited on 100 people they made $100.00 dollars they can use that night instead of having to wait for payday. Sounds like a good trade off to me.

Originally posted by dgibson:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />I've never tipped, but I've some acquaintances who have. I even heard of one guy who got crushed when his pals tipped the wrong way.
*sigh* Cow tipping, people. Work with me here. ;)
</font>[/QUOTE]Well, I was going to go that route but when I logged on after your first post I figured the thread was dead so I didn't even open it :D

$5 - $20 depending on how quick witted the wait- person is. Bonus points if they can zing one-liners back.

I tip some of them for NOT giving me a boob shot.

Mars:

I ususally tip depending on service and food. The percentage of the tip depends on the type of eatery and the quality of the food and service.. If I want to tip the chef, I'll buy a bottle of wine, drink one glass and leave the rest to the chef.

Jeff, How many Kiwis does it take to go cow tipping? Is it true that you tip cows the opposite direction down there??
I got your magazines today..

:cool:

If I want to tip the chef, I'll buy a bottle of wine, drink one glass and leave the rest to the chef.
Dan your bassackwards, you do that to the chef you dont like, that way he gets busted and fired for drinking on the job, and if that did do it he would get busted for open container by the cops....

BTW what the hell kind of places are you going to where you give them left over whine circle k on 40st and van buren? ;)

Delw

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lincoln's Poppi
Back