Time-lapse with Sony

OhHeyThereBen

I've seen that Marcus has been doing quite a few time-lapses lately on the videos and got to thinking; any of you with Sony cameras - do you buy the Sony app to do time-lapses or do you use another method?

It depends on which camera model you have. Some of them have it built in, others might require an app for it. I got an A7iii last year and it didn't have time lapse capability until they released a firmware upgrade earlier this year.

You can also go old-school and buy an intervalometer (at least if you have an alpha-series camera this should be an option, I'm not sure about the non-interchangeable lens cameras)

It depends on which camera model you have. Some of them have it built in, others might require an app for it. I got an A7iii last year and it didn't have time lapse capability until they released a firmware upgrade earlier this year.

You can also go old-school and buy an intervalometer (at least if you have an alpha-series camera this should be an option, I'm not sure about the non-interchangeable lens cameras)

Thanks Cornell. I have an a6500 and it's a bit of a bummer that Sony makes you buy an app to do time lapses after spending that much on a camera. Otherwise I love it.

Do you like the app now that you have it? I've heard it isn't that great. I'll look into an intervalometer and see what that's all about. Appreciate the recommendation.

Thanks Cornell. I have an a6500 and it's a bit of a bummer that Sony makes you buy an app to do time lapses after spending that much on a camera. Otherwise I love it.

Do you like the app now that you have it? I've heard it isn't that great. I'll look into an intervalometer and see what that's all about. Appreciate the recommendation.

I didn't realize that they started charging for playmemories. I know they took the old functionality to an app called Imaging Edge (allows you to wirelessly transfer photos and a few other things).

I really love my a7iii. The time lapse mode is a bit quirky, but the eye-af, dynamic range, and a handful of other features are amazing. I even get decent performance out of my adapted Canon lenses. I do miss a few things about my 7d but overall the a7iii has been a huge upgrade (as you would expect in ~9 years of technological development).

Back