MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Three Grouse Tail Mount

Which tail fan mount option?

• Total voters

R.K.

I saved three tails from my elk-distracted archery grouse hunt a couple weeks ago. Wanted to pick everyone's brain on the preferred way to mount them?

Planning to keep the fans together with a bit liquid nail that I can put a small screw through into the backing wood. Wood is a birch coaster from Hobby Lobby for the plaque, not sure if I need to seal or finish it at all.

Wish I had a friend that was skilled at wood burning to add some decorative stuff to the wood. Hoping to keep it from looking like a 1st grade arts & crafts project.

Felt like this was the best place to get the opinion of DIY grouse fanatics.

Choice 1- circle with hen down
PXL_20210921_030707767.jpg

Choice 2- circle with hen up
PXL_20210921_030750306.jpg

Choice 3- stacked with hen on bottom
PXL_20210921_031110991.jpg

Choice 4- stacked with hen on top
PXL_20210921_031233416.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20210921_013247410.jpg
    PXL_20210921_013247410.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 6
Hard time deciding. I like the circle, but think I’d like it better if they were all the same maybe. Cool ideas.
So would I, but I shanked a shot or two and only came home with two big males.

But with what I'm going to try, I think I'll be able to change them out in the future if I get more. I think this would look great with ruffed grouse, too.

Good idea, I don’t believe I’ve seen this before, how do you attach them together in the back? I think I’d like to do this with all the different grouse species here in Colorado.

Good idea, I don’t believe I’ve seen this before, how do you attach them together in the back? I think I’d like to do this with all the different grouse species here in Colorado.
Going to put some liquid nail on them to hold the fans together, then pilot hole through that and into the wood. Small screw, add a picture hanger, then find a spot on the wall.

Cool options, I’d say I like #3 best.
I agree. I love the visual allegory that the two males sprung from that hen.

I have a number of semi-finished fans in the garage that I now have an idea for - so I guess I owe @R.K. royalties now.

Looks good! What type of grouse did those come off of?
I'm kinda new to the grouse game... I initially thought dusky grouse, but they seemed small, and had red eyebrows instead of yellow. So after looking into it, I'm guessing they were spruce grouse?

Option 1 for me.
Spruce grouse for sure.
Duskies have a light gray band on the periphery of the fan.
Well, they tasted pretty great. And people were trying to tell me spruce grouse taste like turpentine.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back