Three beards

Ithaca 37

Called in quite a few and let them go for the last month. Called some for some friends and they got some good ones. Had a friend with me this AM to show him how to hunt turkeys. He didn't have a gun along. About 7:30 AM I said, "That's it for me. Those rain clouds will be here in a few hours and I gotta get back to work. Not much gobbling anymore. I'm shootin' the next bird I see." Just about then we got an answer. Worked on him for an hour but he wouldn't come. I said, "Let's get closer". Soon I said, " I'm hot, gotta shed this coat." I put my gun against a tree and started taking my coat off. Had both arms behind me and the sleeves almost all the way off and a hen walked out about 50 yards ahead. TRAPPED, and couldn't move! Next comes a jake and then the big boy strutting. They had decided to come looking for us! Now what can I do? I whispered to my buddy who was about two feet behind me, "Slowly grab my coat so it doesn't fall----REAL SLOW." He got it. They hadn't spotted us yet. Now for the gun. They stopped to peck and the big boy was displaying about 40 yards away. Slow as the hour hand I reach for the gun. Got it and started slowly bringing it up about an inch a minute. Almost up to my shoulder and the hen gets nervous and walks away fast. The gobbler turns to look at her. Cheek it and BLAM! He has three beards. 6 inches, 2 inches and 2 inches. Not real big, just a two year old, but a real nerve wracker! What fun. My buddy about had a heart attack! The rain hit about twenty minutes later and continued all day. I'm done till next year.

Congrats Ithica! I have never killed a double bearded bird much less a triple. I'm not sure I could have stayed calm enough to pull my jacket off and lift my gun w/o getting caught. Way to go....

i saw the kentucky state record that was killed by the owner of sporting goods store and she had it displayed ,it has four beards the longest being a 15" paint brush, that looks like a horse tail!!

also saw a double bearded hen while i was there pretty unique to see!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back