MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Thermos or jetboil?

undercover

I will be dayhunting for elk this October with my wife joining me as a companion, extra set of eyes, and a meat Sherpa if things happen as I hope and expect they will(being positive). This is my first ever western hunt so this week I’m consumed with planning meals. Base camp is a house and will commute daily. So, my question is a thermos better to take with one for coffee and my wife can carry another for soup or other warming type meal or is a jet boil going to be a better option with freeze dried meals? We will be both carrying a nalgene 32oz and a water bladder if necessary. I’m guessing weight will be similar but really have no clue. Mid day snacks will be a cliff type bar, snicker like chocolate, trail mix etc. I’m thinking our nalgenes will have water mixed with an electrolyte type substance so I guess a water bladder would be needed if I brought a jet boil. Thanks for the responses as I’m sure most of you have a preference and have carried each at some time in your hunts

Blessings

Brian

I’ve never been out west, yet! Planning on 2nd or 3rd season in Co. I did spend a lot of days in the woods this past year in East Tennessee. I think the thermos will be fine for a hot cup of coffee during the day to warm you up for a day hunt. I normally keep it in the truck for those cold unsuccessful days; which was every day this year. It was a great pick me up when you’re cold and back at the truck to fire the jetboil up for a warm drink on the ride home.

Last edited:
Same as already said. I take the Jetboil when cold with an instant coffee packet and some bottles of water. If I feel like having a cup of coffee I can, if not it’s not much weight to be carrying around all day.

We drink coffee on the road. We dont bother bringing a jetboil. If it's really cold we will start a fire to boil water. Remember that a water bladder can be useless when below freezing. I carry a large hydroflask when temps get below 20 degrees.

I'd say you are over thinking it. Drink your coffee on your morning drive to hunt. Toss a sandwich or two in your bag along with a few granola bars and jerky. Good to go. Skip the jet boil. If you are cold, just start hiking.

I'd say you are over thinking it. Drink your coffee on your morning drive to hunt. Toss a sandwich or two in your bag along with a few granola bars and jerky. Good to go. Skip the jet boil. If you are cold, just start hiking.
I am OCD on planning everything for hunting and fishing. So yes a big over thinker. Thermos will stay in the 4Runner as of now. And from the responses the jet boil may stay in there as well but will take it day by day. With back packers I should have some extra room as my wife will be the non hunter. Thanks for the replies!!!!

I am OCD on planning everything for hunting and fishing. So yes a big over thinker. Thermos will stay in the 4Runner as of now. And from the responses the jet boil may stay in there as well but will take it day by day. With back packers I should have some extra room as my wife will be the non hunter. Thanks for the replies!!!!
Now that I think about it, my elk hunting partner does bring a thermos full of hot coffee for emergency purposes. It is left in the truck while out hiking though. One of the nice parts about day hunts is you can adjust from day to day what goes in your pack. Good luck!

Don't underestimate the impact on your mental state a hot cup of coffee or a hot meal in the middle of the day can have. I carry a stove (not a jet boil, but same result) and make coffee for me and hot chocolate for the kids. It is a great morale booster on those long cold days.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back