Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

The good season continues

Thanks, efw. I basically just look for higher areas with steep contours and in some tree-scarce units, I look for high areas that have some tree cover. Access to open water is always a good feature, too. I have hunted elk for enough years, that in general, I can look at an area and tell where I want to start looking for elk. I tend to look at how far easy-access roads are from the area, also. Fewer roads means fewer lazy hunters. Every year it seems like those areas are getting steeper, though!:W:

If the snow gets deep, a lot of this will go out the window, as the elk will just as likely be out on the flats and open ridges.

I try to get an overview of the area by using Google Earth and the On x map chip, but there is nothing better than actual eyes on the area. I was able to get in a quick early September trip to do a little bit of scouting and it pretty much confirmed for me what I saw on the maps. I at least was able to generally see where the roads ran, even though I did not have time to do any in-depth scouting.

I like new areas, as I think that I go in with a more open mind, than in an area where I have spent a lot of time. On this particular hunt, I got good info from a rancher in the area, that pretty much confirmed what I thought, too.

The picture of the elk herd was taken by my buddy using his smart phone through his bino. I was amazed at how well it turned out. That was only the upper end of the herd. They were strung all down the side of the ridge.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back