Thawing, cutting, then Refreezing

matechakeric

is there any risk of losing meat to freezer burn if you thaw frozen meat and then refreeze it after cutting the meat?

I'm flying into my hunting destination and will be driving back east after the hunt if successful. I won't have access to frozen milk jugs but was planning on using dry ice or bag ice to get the meat back home. If using dry ice and the meat does freeze through, is it safe for meat to thaw the meat for cutting and refreeze it?

I'm always nervous refreezing thawed meat. Perhaps irrationally

I've kept whole quarters in the freezer for multiple weeks then thawed them out for final processing and have never noticed any degradation in meat quality. If freezer burn does occur, it's likely just on the surface that was going to get trimmed off anyway.

in the FWIW column, I have taken to butchering on the tailgate to final dimensions then vacuum sealing and freezing with dry ice so it is all frozen or nearly so when I arrive home and all I have to do is transfer to the freezer. Really makes coming home a lot more enjoyable, actually. I discovered that my pick up's 110v converter was plenty to run the vacuum sealer and that became a game changer.

I do it plenty, also, if I find I have no ground left, but a ton of roasts or round steaks, I will take them out to grind.

Also plenty of times I’ve hung elk quarters, and they’ve frozen overnight.

Never seen any negative results in one refreeze

I bone out everything but shoulders and shanks. Freeze in heavy ziploks until I can get around to thaw and process It. That might be two weeks or two months. I refreeze and I cant say I ever noticed any freezer burn. I likely would have freezer burn if I left the boned out meat in just the ziploks for a long period. I bone out at camp and put in the ziplocks then in the cooler for ride home.

I have had quarters hanging in the tree and just bring them in one at a time to thaw and work on after they freeze.
The last couple years we have just worked through the day and have a whole cow broken down and cut up, wrapped & in the freezer for my buddy to drive home to WI.
Mine I will bring out the big chunks and finish the proccess as I wish.

Never had a problem with refreezing.
I do it all the time when I make sausage. Made some great sausage this year with a 3 yr old chink of bull I found in the bottom. It's in the freezer ,again.

I've done it many times. I've also had hanging quarters freeze. Make your fingers hurt like hell, but no problem for the meat.

Ok, I don't really get how all this works but you guys are talking about cutting up meat so I'm going to try sticking something in here. I'm in New Mexico and have a Hobart meat and bone saw for sale. If any of you are in the market for one, let me know. Thanks

Back