Caribou Gear

Thanks Randy and everyone.

Howie

Got on this forum last year, I think, cuz I been wanting to hunt archery elk since forever.
Reading threads, askin' questions n putting myself into the stories told, motivated me to try what I could afford...DIY OTC. I bought some gear I figgered I needed got some info and advice where to hunt and collected 2 other greenhorns to go with.
Y'all's was right (not that I ever questioned Ya's). The hills is big n ugly n thick n steep and u can't get in good enough shape (age is an enemy here).
We didn't get as far as planned, had a hard week of scout/hunting, slept like the dead in camp and thoroughly enjoyed every minute of breathless pain in the most majestic wilderness I've ever been in. Had some ice in the morning and some heat in the afternoon mixed with sporadic rain, sleet, hail, and lightning.
Had a bear walk up to me at 35 yds. and heard lots of large animals in the bush I never got to lay eyes on. Never saw an elk....while hunting.
So for all of this I thank you.
I hope to do it again but time ain't on my side and the moderate expense of this is still dear so maybe better planning or a mentor are in the future.
Again, thanks for your part of my adventure.

That sounds a lot like my first western hunt. Find at least one compatible hunting buddy, budget for it & you'll get it done. I got tired of dreaming, realized I wasn't getting younger, was 45 yr old on first hunt, didn't bring meat home until 3rd hunt, didn't punch my tag until 4th hunt. I don't figure I'm still a rookie, but dang sure not much more. I've learned a lot from HT, more by going that I wouldn't have learned any other way, but I still have a lot more to learn.

Glad you had fun, even if some of it was type 2. Keep the fire stoked, keep getting stronger, and come back and do it again! And let us know when you kill a monster PA whitetail!

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrGeauxNewMexico
Back