Texas piney woods whitetails

bts09

Howdy all,

This year, for the first time, I leased a small (about 50 acres) piece of property in East Texas, a little north of Big Thicket National Preserve. I leased it from a timber company--so it's obviously not being managed for deer (or any wildlife). Because it's timber property, it's a mix (about 50/50) of a young pine plantation and then mixed hardwoods. They don't blend together--pines are together and hardwoods are together. I've got some cameras set up and am starting to see some deer on the property. I don't know that it's ever been used for hunting before.

So I'm setting the whole thing up myself and am interested in any tips folks can provide about things I should be doing, both now and throughout season. I don't want to use timed feeders (for a number of reasons), and prefer to bow hunt over rifle hunt. But I just know nothing about this--how to get deer onto your property, how to keep them there, the best places to set up a blind--anything is fair game. I'm just completely green at this and am hoping some folks on here will share their own experiences. I am limited somewhat in that I (obviously) can't cut down trees.

Nothing better than a young pine plantation to hold deer.
Is there a road or opening that you could plant?
What habitat surrounds you?
What are prevailing winds for the area? Look at airport runway layouts for your answer there.

Deer are edge animals. Hunt the edge of pines/hardwoods. Acorns will be key.

Give us a google earth image, if you don’t mind.

Congrats for starters.

I hunt a lot of the same type of habitat that you are talking about. I grew up hunting in that type of habitat. You will not keep deer on a 50 acre piece of property. There just is not going to be enough room or food to sustain them.

First thing I would do is figure out how deer are using the 50 acres. What are the food sources? Are there bedding areas? The basics. Then I would look for travel ways, pinch points, etc.

If you are going to be bow hunting and you have good bedding cover then when the woods get full of other hunters and rifles start popping all around your 50 acres you may just be in business.

I’m in Shelby/panola county . You’re gonna want to put hog panels around any feeders you have . Corn is honestly the best way to attract and keep deer. I see no shame in hunting over a feeder if that’s legal . Especially starting out.
Look at your place from Satellite images . Anywhere the hardwoods look like “tentacles” Through the pines will be natural travel corridors and acorns will be available later in the year .

Last edited:
Consult Google Maps to scout bedding areas then set up on the transition lines from pine to hardwoods. Likely to be an excellent year for East Texas deer given the amount of rain we’ve seen.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back