Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Termination Dust

My favorite AK slang is referring to rest of the US as the Lessor 48.
When we first moved up here, "sourdoughs" made fun of my "y'all"

When growing up in Texas, I heard folks at Rodeo's use the phrase " All hat and no cattle" as well as "pitching a hissy fit" a few times. Actually I heard these phrases in college as well, same meaning, but different circumstances ;)

When I worked seasonally for BLM down here in Oregon we also called the first snowfall of fall Termination Dust because it meant our seasonal job was about to end and we would be terminated.

Breakup, overflow, ice-out, aufeis, active layer, permafrost are other terms heard up in Alaska
The Nenana Tripod signaled breakup this past Friday. No boating for a week or so while the ice flushes out.Sprng_Ice.JPG

Some of the words used to describe women in the 40's and 50's would cause heart attack's for some women today. What is funny, is even as a female, I have had young females tell me, "we dont use that word today, it is offense "

Doll, Chippy, broad, cookie, dish, dame, honey, sweetie

is anyone else here old enough to remember, khaki wacky, ? ;)

Some of the words used to describe women in the 40's and 50's would cause heart attack's for some women today. What is funny, is even as a female, I have had young females tell me, "we dont use that word today, it is offense "

Doll, Chippy, broad, cookie, dish, dame, honey, sweetie

is anyone else here old enough to remember, khaki wacky, ? ;)
Toots. Now there's a moniker that can get a dirty look these days. Nothing at all derogatory but sounds like it should be.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back