Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Termination Dust

AlaskaHunter

Alaskans have some unique terms.
For example, going "outside" means headed down to the lower-48.
There are no snowmobiles...they are snow machines up here.

I think "termination dust" is another uniquely Alaskan term...it is the first snowfall of the year.
This was termination dust in the Brooks Range foothills in August:
TerminationDust.jpg

Funny how different regions have different sayings. I live in Iowa and have friends in Wisconsin, and its amazing the different terminology we have.
"Bubbler" in Wisconsin. "Frappe" in New Hampshire. "Popple" and "Paatridge" in Maine.

"Soda" versus "Pop", "Sack" versus "Bag" depending on region of the US.

Alaskans have some unique terms.
For example, going "outside" means headed down to the lower-48.
There are no snowmobiles...they are snow machines up here.

I think "termination dust" is another uniquely Alaskan term...it is the first snowfall of the year.
This was termination dust in the Brooks Range foothills in August:
View attachment 174444
and termination dust can happen anytime after June 21. :)

We always referred to it as "termination dust" specifically when sheep hunting. While it is possible to hunt sheep in the snow, snow on the airstrip really spells the end of easy coming and going, primarily because bush wheels have no tread and thus no braking ability in snow.

I always liked "skookum" used in the pacific northwest for "saavy" or "strong"

The phrase that I always identify as Montanan is "youbet."

Butte, America has lots of memorable words and phrases like "youse guys", and "tap 'er light"

We always referred to it as "termination dust" specifically when sheep hunting. While it is possible to hunt sheep in the snow, snow on the airstrip really spells the end of easy coming and going, primarily because bush wheels have no tread and thus no braking ability in snow.

I always liked "skookum" used in the pacific northwest for "saavy" or "strong"

The phrase that I always identify as Montanan is "youbet."

Butte, America has lots of memorable words and phrases like "youse guys", and "tap 'er light"
The last time I flew in later in the season the transporter informed us a slight risk of having to walk out if there was a heavy snow....we got lucky with no snow in 10 days and flew back out.
Snow_Super_cub.jpg

"Cheechako" means new comer in Alaska, as opposed to "Sourdough".
We also use the word Sourdough and Mamaqtug instead of delicious. However for those of you who post on the music thread each week, Mamaqtuq is also the name of a song sang by our local band known as The Jerry Cans. They possibly will never reach the popularity of the Beatles. Eagles, or Beach Boys however. But if you watch the video you will see that their production cost is reasonable ;)

When my late wife and were married everyone met at the in-laws after dinner for a nightcap before we ran off on the honeymoon. Father-in-law was a shutterbug and wanted some photos. "Go sit on the Chesterfield with Cathy." I'm searching the couch and chairs. "What are you doing?" Looking for the pack of cigarettes to sit on. Figured it was some kind of weird Canadian tradition like smashing glasses or throwing salt over the shoulder. Chesterfield = couch in Canadian.

Last edited:
We also use the word Sourdough and Mamaqtug instead of delicious. However for those of you who post on the music thread each week, Mamaqtuq is also the name of a song sang by our local band known as The Jerry Cans. They possibly will never reach the popularity of the Beatles. Eagles, or Beach Boys however. But if you watch the video you will see that their production cost is reasonable ;)
I actually looked them up and watched a couple videos. Pretty cool watching them use some locals and shooting around the village. Nice to see some scenery. Music not bad as well! You weren't one of those "extras" in any clips, were you? ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back