Teach me about pants....

I know you will swat me for this but---- I have worn woolrich malone pants for 45 years just like my father before me. They are good in snow and rain. Quiet in the brush and I only wear them out every 20 years or so.

It's hard for me to get new and fancy when things work this well for so long. Now feel free to tell me why I am so stupid.
I spend most of deer season in a pair of old-school wool pants. They're warm, tough, pretty comfy and there's nothing quieter.

I've had Kuiu Attack pants for about 10 years. Really liked them, so bought a second pair a couple years later while they were still produced in NA.

Had some extra coin earlier this year, so tried the FL Corrugate and Catalyst Foundry pants. Hasn't been cold enough to test Catalyst, but have about 10 days in the Corrugate. I really like them, especially the leg vents.

Attacks I have are pre leg zip era and are about 10oz lighter than the Corrugate, so not worth a comparison.

That is my only experience. Like all three.

Always check my work, but I believe these are the weights.
Kuiu Attack 19oz
FL Corrugate 28ox
FL Catalyst 35oz

I know you will swat me for this but---- I have worn woolrich malone pants for 45 years just like my father before me. They are good in snow and rain. Quiet in the brush and I only wear them out every 20 years or so.

It's hard for me to get new and fancy when things work this well for so long. Now feel free to tell me why I am so stupid.
I wore a pair of Malone wool pants for decades before most of the new stuff came along. The weight and the fact the insides of the legs and crotch would wear out from rubbing against each other every few years lead me to the change. Sitka Timberline minus the kneepads work for most rifle and coyote season. The extra layer of waterproof stuff on the knees and butt are a real plus. Warm and light. Other then MAYBE an antelope hunt I can't see a need for knee pads and they are too warm for that time of year. Watch CamoFire after season.

Bow season most any work. I have not seen much difference between the KUIU and First Lite. Can't go wrong with any of them.

Last edited:
I've had Attack pants for 2 seasons now and I really like them. Those are my Mild weather pants . Frosty mornings I'll put a base layer under them until I gotta walk in snow. About 10 years ago Badlands sent me a pair of Softshell pants to test out and review. Those have become my cold weather pants. Since then Badlands changed the names and designs so I don't know what they call them now. If i needed to replace them I'd look at what Kuiu and Sitka had to offer in a softshell (Axis/Guide?) They are more water resistant,and lighter than wool. Pretty quiet too.

I don't Treestand hunt so i'll leave that to someone else.

Timberlines or Grinders will work for you based on what you described.

Have not had any First lite pants hold up for me, their CS and warranty was great however it seems like I had use it for almost everything they sold me. I no longer consider First lite any thing considering how shoddy their workmanship is.
Had an original pair of Attack pants that I liked, except for the 34 inch inseam which I had to pay to be hemmed. Bought second pair in the same size a couple years later and fit was terrible totally different then the originals. Also picked up the Axis in my regular size and were way too large, and the inseam was crazy long. They were promptly returned as well.

Like others have stated the Kuiu attack or Axis pants is what I’d recommend for your specific needs. The hip vents are awesome and really help dump heat if needed.
If you want to save some $$ the Prana stretch Zion pants aren’t bad especially with a light base layer under them.

I am sure some of these modern hunting pants are fine. I am 83 and have hunted seriously all over the world for more than seventy years. For medium to bad weather in Alaska, Canada, all the Rockies, The Pamirs in Tajikistan, Kazakstan, Kyrgyzstan, and Mongolia Johnson Woolen Mills wool whipcord pants have worked fine. Their whipcord is quiet, and does not gather burrs or thorns. I use different colors depending on the environment I hunt, including mottled grey, medium brown, and various green shades. They are not uncomfortable while riding a horse on an all day pack train trip. I have slowed down a bit since turning 80. So have not experimented with these new products. Just an old dog too old for new tricks.. kindest Regards

Tan jeans w/ a base layer, or two (depending upon temperature). Base layer is the important part. I love, love, love my UnderArmour cold weather running tights - I should get another pair or two since I wear them nearly every day (and wash them every couple - Im not (that much of) an animal). If its really cold, Ill put a layer over Patagonia Capilene over them. What is over top isnt (as) important unless its really wet in which case a warm weather water resistant/proof out layer instead of jeans works fine.

Alright, bit the expensive bullet and ordered: Talus Hybrid Pant | Valo

Should be here before my mule deer hunt West River. Look forward to testing them out.

Wasn't sure which camo to go with, but Valo seemed like the best for the prairie grass I normally hunt it.

Thanks for the tips everyone, I'll update you when I've had a chance to put them through the tests

I really need a decent pair of pants for mid to late season hunting. I have carhartt bibs for the ultra cold sitting, so I really need a good walking around pant. I do a fair amount of spot and stalk on the prairie, and also bow from a tree stand.

Here is what I'm thinking for needs:
Very windproof
Doesn't have to be ultra warm, but a little insulation would be ideal for SD.
Really really really want outer material that is burr resistant, so fleece is out...
Water proof would be nice, but not a requirement
Need to be able to move well, but no mountains around here...
Camo would be nice, but not required

Any one got a recommendation? I know everyone speaks highly of sitka, but I really struggle to justify the price for the amount of hunting I do and the fact it's SD so not the toughest to hunt in.

Thanks in advance group
For what you mentioned the Kuiu attack pants will work. They are comfortable, very tough, and have hip vents when hiking you can regulate your temps. Black Friday is coming up they might run a sale on them in Nov. Another pant would be the Kryptek Bora pants they have schoeller fabric are very abrasion resistant, more for mid to late season and fabric breathes like there is no tomorrow and closes when temps drop. I got mine on Amazon for $110 and it’s a $300 dollar pant, I recommend checking Krypteks website or Amazon sometimes the prices do drop that’s when you have to take advantage.

Second the first lite corrugate foundry, like them so much I am selling my regular corrugate guide pants (which are also good pants but not as burly as the foundry version) the first lite sawbuch brush pant is also nice and burlier.

I am sure some of these modern hunting pants are fine. I am 83 and have hunted seriously all over the world for more than seventy years. For medium to bad weather in Alaska, Canada, all the Rockies, The Pamirs in Tajikistan, Kazakstan, Kyrgyzstan, and Mongolia Johnson Woolen Mills wool whipcord pants have worked fine. Their whipcord is quiet, and does not gather burrs or thorns. I use different colors depending on the environment I hunt, including mottled grey, medium brown, and various green shades. They are not uncomfortable while riding a horse on an all day pack train trip. I have slowed down a bit since turning 80. So have not experimented with these new products. Just an old dog too old for new tricks.. kindest Regards
People would do well to read this 20 or 30 times. I'm only 64, but figured this out years ago also.

I tried the Stone Glacier M7 Pant this year and have really been liking it. Amazing to be waterproof but also have the ability to unzip the sides and cool down when going uphill. Definitely a bit pricey though, that being said they would probably last you the rest of your life.

You don't have to spend a fortune to be comfortable. These two pants are warm, stretchy and surprisingly wind resistent. And they won't break the bank. I have walked many dozens of miles in heavier cover than most western hunting in them and they are still growing strong.

Back