NEW SITKA Ambient 75

TC pistol questions

VAspeedgoat

I am thinking real serious about getting a pistol for hunting. To be up front it will likely be cased and in the farm truck for most of its life. I would mostly be shooting groundhogs or other nuisances but ocasionally would like to have something with enough power for an occasional deer. No, I DON'T shoot from the truck but often I am out checking cows or something and a descent deer will be chasing does. It would be nice to be able to set off after them without having to go back to the house.

I was curious as to what experience you guys had with old contenders vs. G2 vs. Encore. This is my main concern as I assume all of them have pros and cons.

The next question is, I am primarily looking at a pistol but like the option of going to a rifle. Is this only an option on old contenders or is the G2 and encore changeable also. I have heard newer models are not.

Next, do old contender barrels work on G2 frames or vise versa?

Last, how well do the 45/.410 barrels pattern with shot shells? I have heard that at 20 yards they are good for small game. I have also heard that the .45 will not shoot well.

Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated especially on caliber suggestions.

i shoot an encore and love it, you have to remember to change the stock to a grip when going to a pistol for SBR reasons. I mostly use mine in a rifle config but its really nice with the katahadin barrels. Last year I took my first bear with the 460 katahdin and the year before i took my first antelope with the 308.

My list of barrels include the 22lr,22-250,308,300wm,50ml,and 460. I love them all.

I am thinking real serious about getting a pistol for hunting. To be up front it will likely be cased and in the farm truck for most of its life. I would mostly be shooting groundhogs or other nuisances but ocasionally would like to have something with enough power for an occasional deer. No, I DON'T shoot from the truck but often I am out checking cows or something and a descent deer will be chasing does. It would be nice to be able to set off after them without having to go back to the house.

I was curious as to what experience you guys had with old contenders vs. G2 vs. Encore. This is my main concern as I assume all of them have pros and cons.

The next question is, I am primarily looking at a pistol but like the option of going to a rifle. Is this only an option on old contenders or is the G2 and encore changeable also. I have heard newer models are not.

All the platforms are changeable from rifle to pistol and viceversa, although there may be some legal concerns in doing so.

Next, do old contender barrels work on G2 frames or vise versa?

All Contender barrels fit either frame, but some very old barrels have a different two piece locking lug that needs to be changed (or maybe the older ones are one piece - can't remember). I also believe some non blue barrels can have a bit of an issue fitting blue frames.

Last, how well do the 45/.410 barrels pattern with shot shells? I have heard that at 20 yards they are good for small game. I have also heard that the .45 will not shoot well.

Don't know about that.

Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated especially on caliber suggestions.

The Contender frame Either original or G2) with a 21" or 23" carbine barrel and rifle stock makes a short, light handy package that is a lot easier to shoot than the pistol. You can get barrels in .223, 7x30 Waters, 30-30, and probably a few more that offer factory ammunition with enough punch for what you want. The Encore offers a lot more calibers, but isn't as light and handy. JMO

Last edited:
I have a T/C Encore in 308. I killed my first antelope buck and mule deer doe with it, as well as, whitetails around here. For what you are wanting to do with it, I'd much rather have a rifle. I haven't used my Encore in years and doubt I ever will.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back