Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Tamale Pie

Calif. Hunter

Here's a recipe from my Mom -

Brown ground beef and add chopped onions when almost done. (You can also add chopped peppers if you want.) Drain grease.
Add 1 can of tomato sauce (how large depends on how large a pie you are making and how much beef you used,) add chili powder, cumin, garlic (fresh or powder) and a little oregano to taste.
Simmer, covered for 10 or 15 minutes on low heat.
Cook about 3 cups of corn meal, according to package directions for corn meal mush. (If in doubt, try 2 parts cornmeal to 1 part water and bring to boil - thicken or thin as needed by adding more meal or water. Use a teaspoon or so of salt.)

Spoon a layer of corn meal on the bottom and sides of a baking dish or casserole (if you want a crispier crust - oil or grease the sides of the baking dish) about 1/2-inch or more thick. Pour in the meat and sauce. (Add olives if you like them.) Spoon and spread another layer of corn meal mush over the top. Top with liberal amounts of grated cheese.

Bake covered at 350 degrees until cheese is melted and the sauce is bubbling around the top. Remove the top from the dish and let the top get a little browned.

Serve with beans and rice. Garnishes could include salsa, sour cream and/or guacamole.

mmmm, osunds great, only thing is i buy tomales from place since they so great i rather have made by mexicans thier kinda food cause most others wont coe out right and not the same but i try this, hope it works, hope i dont start a fire:D

Back