Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Tag soup

Pucky Freak

2018 was my "most bountiful" year for tag soup fare, with 6/7 unfilled tags. All wild meat in our house was consumed by Jan 1st, and having subsisted on beef and pork through the rest of the winter for the first time since I could shoulder a .30-30 has driven me mad with resolve and determination to double down on time invested in scouting and time afield, so as to hopefully not repeat this travesty. I love to cook nearly as much as I love to hunt, so usually just 1 tag a year is set aside to hold out for a trophy animal.

Anyone else willing to share their personal worst, er I mean, BEST tag soup year? 👨‍🍳

Here's a toast to 2019 being the worst ever year for tag soup! So far I am 1 for 1 on filled tags, and am hoping this trend continues with my anticipated 10 remaining tags.

I usually burn unfilled tags in a kind of goodbye ritual - I feel unlucky if I keep them around.

The past 6 years have been great tag soup for my family (no tags filled). I was the one to finally break the streak with a doe this year (so 1 out of 4 tags filled)...we have been rationing the thuringer sausage like crazy to make it last. Luckily we know some nice people who give us a little elk here and there.
I must say though, when you do finally get something, it feels pretty great after all those failed times!
Definitely scouting way more this summer!

^I admire you and your family's commitment to the pursuit, and also your satisfaction in "breaking the curse"

A truly successful hunt in my book is no one got injured, nothing was lost, and we all had fun. I like eating wild game too much to completely be OK with not sealing the deal sometime during a year though.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Iceman1992
Back