Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Switching shoulders for my pacemaker. Am I still able to shoot a long gun?

Antcap

It's been a very long time since I've posted anything on here. I'm 46 and I've had a pacemaker implanted in my upper left chest since 1991. I've never had any issues shooting or hunting through the years. Has anyone had to move their pacemaker to the dominant side of their chest, and still been able to shoot a rifle/shotgun? Has anyone ever had a pacemaker implanted in another part of their body, in order to be able to shoot a long gun? If I have to bow hunt for the rest of my life, then so be it. I'm just curious.

Thanks for any info that you may have!

Not a pacemaker, but I tore my shoulder up and had to shoot for about a year on the opposite shoulder. It took some practice but I filled my tags. Aimed shooting (scope of sights) was easier than point shooting (shotgun).

Can’t imagine with some effort you wouldn’t be able to learn to shoot off your left shoulder.

Right now my left shoulder is pretty messed up from infections from my current pacemaker. I'm going in for my third surgery since March 1st and that's why we've decided to move it to my right shoulder. I'm not sure how long it's going to take to heal up, in case I have to learn to shoot left handed.

My dad had an aicd placed in the mid 90’s on his left chest. Multiple infections over several years required it being moved 2-3 times. Ended up being placed in his left upper abdomen. It remained there without further problems til his death from other causes 10-12 years later. It was a long road of long term iv antibiotics and many surgeries to clean infections out. When they placed it in its final position he told the doc that would be it, next he’d just have it removed. He refused placement on the right side of his chest due to concerns with shooting among other reasons. Yes, he was a stubborn man.

I spoke to my cardiologist today and he told me that it shouldn't be a problem. Just as long as I don't put the butt directly on the device itself. My left side will eventually heal up, if I needed to shoot left handed. I was in Sportsmans today, and I found that they make a removable shoulder pad that I'll probably end up buying. The last thing I need, is to unplug my heart at the top of a mountain. Lmao

Thanks for the replies, guys! Once I thought about this, I was freaking out. Nothing was going to keep me from hunting. I would've been chasing elk with a damn spear, if I had to. 😃

It's been a very long time since I've posted anything on here. I'm 46 and I've had a pacemaker implanted in my upper left chest since 1991. I've never had any issues shooting or hunting through the years. Has anyone had to move their pacemaker to the dominant side of their chest, and still been able to shoot a rifle/shotgun? Has anyone ever had a pacemaker implanted in another part of their body, in order to be able to shoot a long gun? If I have to bow hunt for the rest of my life, then so be it. I'm just curious.

Thanks for any info that you may have!
No experience with a pacemaker. If there is a will there is a way!! Tell the cardiac doctor hunting and shooting rifles is very important to you. I told that to my neurologist and physical therapist

Last edited:
Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back