Swift Scirrocos

kiwi hunta

I think I 've spelt it right, looking at buying some 90 grain 6mm to run through a 1-10 T3 Tikka and some 130 grain 6.5 to run through a couple of 6.5x55's both mauser actioned sporters.

Currently running gamekings, sst's and interlocs, looking for a longer range, 400 metre plus projectile for Chamois and Tahr.

Cheers Jeff.

I handload the 180gr Scirocco at a pretty good clip out of my 300win mag and love them. Deer, elk and bear have fallen pretty readily to them for me. Couple of my animals have fallen to them beyond the range your discussing, performed very well.

Is there much difference between the scirroccos and the accubonds? I use em both but haven't compared the structural minutae.

I think I 've spelt it right, looking at buying some 90 grain 6mm to run through a 1-10 T3 Tikka and some 130 grain 6.5 to run through a couple of 6.5x55's both mauser actioned sporters.

Currently running gamekings, sst's and interlocs, looking for a longer range, 400 metre plus projectile for Chamois and Tahr.

Cheers Jeff.

Jeff, the Scirocco II has been formulated with with a harder copper alloy to reduce copper fowling, but by all accounts results in slower expansion in a bullet which is known for it's slow expansion already. While the design gives slightly higher BC's than it's competitors and should improve long range accuracy at the distance you specified, at that range the bullet will have greatly reduced energy which will probably result in a pass through with minimal damage on animals which you would prefer to plant in their tracks if at all possible.

Based on a lot of testimonials from users, the accuracy of these bullets appears to be hard to nail down, dependent on the twist, powder type and charge, and weight. The best results I've read about seem to come from .30 heavier bullets in magnum calibers. Keep in mind this is not from my own experience, but from compiling those experiences of quite a few others.

This is one person's opinion based on experience, but I'd put my money on the 100gr Nosler partition for the 6mm if in a 6mm Remington. If in a .243, same bullet but in a 95 gr weight. The Swede seems to like a long bullet, so you might be ok with the Swift there with the previously mentioned drawbacks. At that range you need a bullet that will expand more quickly at slow speed, penetrate to the vitals, and confine all it's energy to the carcass unless you're looking for something to break bone.

If you push either of the Nosler offerings to 3150fps there will be appr. 27.5" of drop from the muzzle and no more than 1000 ft lbs of energy at 400 metres with an optimal game weight around 140 lbs. While that is more than enough for the chamois, the tahr can go as high as 400lbs and would certainly require more to be ethical. That said, the Swift in a 6.5X55 should suit the tahr nicely, and if used on the chamois and there is anything left, just stick it in your back pocket to carry it out.

Last edited:
Thankyou for a very informative post, I tried 18 projectiles, 9 of each in both 6.5's and they shot superbly using ADI 2208 and 2209 ( IMR 4064 and 4350).

Not a projectile used a lot here in N.Z., price is pretty steep compared to Hornady, Sierra etc, perhaps they need to be pushed along at a good clip to perform well so maybe I need to build that 6.5.06 or 6.5/284 now :D

I've bought the 6.5's and have ordered the 6mm and have a hunting mate who will pay for and take half, I've also ordered some Amax which have become the long range hunting bullet of choice here in N.Z. and some Berger VLD's, need to get out when the weather clears and do a feral goat cull to compare performances.

thanks guys.

Jeff.

Not a projectile used a lot here in N.Z., price is pretty steep compared to Hornady, Sierra etc, perhaps they need to be pushed along at a good clip to perform well so maybe I need to build that 6.5.06 or 6.5/284 now :D

Jeff.

Hope you find the right combination. I've one more build left in me. A .280 should be enough to last me out my remaining years and I can begin giving away or selling some of my gear. Within five years I hope to be down to one each scatter gun, rifle, and handgun.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hamms12oz
Back