Suppressed .308 build *range report*

p_ham

This is one of those projects that gets worked on as time permits.
Integrally suppressed .308 with the goal of having hunting performance out to 400yd.
The rifle started off with a 25" Shilen barrel in a laminate stock I got as a rough inlet.
20221007_191135.jpg

1st step was to cut the barrel to 20" and threaded the muzzle and shank.
20221008_144924.jpg20221008_231735.jpg

Dropped it in a Stocky's LRC M50 stock. Kind of heavy but it'll work for now. May go carbon fiber later.
20221008_233047.jpg

Next I ported the barrel and spun up a brake. I've got a different brake design in mind that I may try later.
20221020_194135.jpg
Indicate and thread the titanium tube on the shank side

Cut the baffles and end cap
20221022_224546.jpg
Cut the tube to length and thread for the end cap.

Lasered the required details in and it's ready for finish.
20221023_155849.jpg20221023_160125.jpg20221023_155821.jpg20221023_155917.jpg

I'll probably tweak a thing or two on it, it is a prototype after all. Like somehow misspelling "muley." That's what I get for not sleeping.

I haven't shot a group with it yet, just a quick function check this morning. Shooting was very comfortable noise and recoil wise.

Last edited:
Well, it shoots. I'm not going to do any further load development for it.
One load is 150gr Sierra gamekings my dad had done for his silhouette rifle, the other is 165gr Sierras I loaded for my wife's Tikka. Fairly certain the dropped shot was me.
I've got some Federal factory ammo on the way that I'll put through and see how it does.

I think the design is good enough to move forward on with a couple small changes to the muzzle device and baffles.

20221105_110504.jpg20221105_110509.jpg

Pretty spiffy!
I’ve never fully understood the integral system. Especially with a muzzle break tucked back in there. Just can’t wrap my little mind around how the gas escapes efficiently enough to make a difference. Like to learn more about it.
Great build! Nice work

How did I miss this first time around?

Secondly why do you still have a full time job and this is your hobby? Pretty sure HT could keep you employed full time in your shop. That thing is sweet!
Thank you! I'm working on getting the finances figured out.

Pretty spiffy!
I’ve never fully understood the integral system. Especially with a muzzle break tucked back in there. Just can’t wrap my little mind around how the gas escapes efficiently enough to make a difference. Like to learn more about it.
Great build! Nice work
Thanks.
Muzzle brakes inside suppressors act as sacrificial baffles. They dissipate the energy from the fired gasses and help extend the life of the blast baffle while adding turbulence to the system.
Ignorant question: if the barrel is integrally suppressed, do you need to get the suppressor federal stamp?
I’m curious too
Yes you still need a stamp.

Thank you! I'm working on getting the finances figured out.

Thanks.
Muzzle brakes inside suppressors act as sacrificial baffles. They dissipate the energy from the fired gasses and help extend the life of the blast baffle while adding turbulence to the system.

Yes you still need a stamp.
That makes sense. I’ve never had opportunity to fiddle with integral system. Thanks for explaining. Keep up the good work

what is the report like noise wise with the suppressor then muzzle brake combo?

Cut 5" off the barrel and only lost 100fps? But then ported it and lost 40 fps? Something don't sound right!
Average is 20 fps per inch for standard cartridges, and the porting goes from 16-18" all the way around the barrel.

This was all tested step by step with the same lot of ammo. SD and ES were very tight through the whole process.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back