Caribou Gear Tarp

Student Loan Rifle

Factory? I’d check out the new Sako 90 Bavarian or hunter when they hit the US, but they may not produce it in a .280 AI. Nosler also made some nice wood-stocked rifles in .280 AI for a while. Custom is also an option but you’d be close to the top end of your budget allowing ~$1k for optics.

I think they also warranty barrel if you shoot them out if I remember correctly
I like my Coopers too. Since they were acquired by Nighthawk, though, I doubt the barrel warranty will still be a thing. OTOH, I'll bet the Nighthawk equivalents are going to be $7-8K, based upon the cost of their 1911s.

Factory? I’d check out the new Sako 90 Bavarian or hunter when they hit the US, but they may not produce it in a .280 AI. Nosler also made some nice wood-stocked rifles in .280 AI for a while. Custom is also an option but you’d be close to the top end of your budget allowing ~$1k for optics.
Half his budget would be on glass. I can’t think about what I want for less than $2000. And to be serious, it’s pushing $2600.

I have a 1903 built by Paul Jaeger in 1945. Inherited it from a very close friend. Beautiful rifle but one I'd have loved to have had would be a Dick Bortmuss. Something about them just trips my trigger. Don't even know if you could find one today. Would want it in a 280 Rem.

Take it from this guy. His grandpa built a 338wm that he (RJ) uses to this day.
Yes, Built back in the 80s and still being used to this day! Knowing it's 1 of a kind and was along for all the adventures my grandpa was on is a pretty cool story piece. I've gone on 1 guided hunting trip, and the guide looked at the gun and said "Woah, that gun has been places hasn't it...?" He said you don't see many with that much character.

I wish the gun could talk, because it would have some wild stories to share.

2nd someone else's comment on Sako 90 Hunter if a wood stocked rifle is wanted. Just not going to find it in 280AI.

Not to poopoo on customs as i have a number of them but I feel you'd be hard pressed to get one as nice in form and function as the Sako especially at that price point.

Have you thought about a custom rifle you can pass down?
^^^

I have two "custom rifles" that are essentially my hands and mind preserved for future generations. The Springfield my dad built back in 1962. I guess originally it was built for him but by the time I was hunting two years later, he had finished the second Springfield which became his go-to for the rest of his life. I have rebuilt most everything on that first gun: restocked it after a horse wreck in early eighties, replaced the scope twice, changed the trigger, changed the safety, changed the barrel, and added iron sights with rail and QD rings. This past summer I built a 404 Jeffery on an 8mm standard action Czech Mauser 98 of same vintage as the Springfield. It wasn't a cheap project but only slightly more expensive than some mass produced soulless new gun out of the box. When I hunt with the Springfield, my dad (1924-1999) is with me. Hopefully, someday one of my grandkids will be taking us both along on hunting trips long after I've gone to join Dad. If they are real lucky, maybe they'll be able to take my 404 Jeffery back to Africa again. That would be sweet! I'm thinking just having that gun will give at least one of them the motivation to make the journey.
in the case.jpg
Dad's WWII Springfield
20230718_174300.jpg
My 98 Mauser 404 Jeffery. Being blued as I write this.

Last edited:
I married my wife six years ago and her wedding present to me was a SIGNIFICANT student loan balance - think med school but without a doctor’s salary. I love her, so we’ve busted our butts since then to pay them off and one of the ways I’ve kept from feeling resentful is the idea of buying a heirloom quality gun at the end of it.

We’re about three to five months out from the final payment, depending on bonuses, so it’s time to start researching.

I live in SW Michigan and I use a straight wall rifle for the majority of my hunting but with these loans gone I can start thinking about trips up north or out of state. Besides my 450 Bushmaster and AR I don’t own a center fire rifle.

I’m pretty much set on a .280 AI (I reload) and I’d like a wood stocked rifle. Eventually I’d like to be able to give this to my daughter and tell her the story behind it - but I want it to be well used at that point.

Any ideas on what direction to look over the next few months?
While congratulations are in order for paying off the student loan and getting a new rifle, if your looking to pass this on to your daughter with the intention of HER hunting with it, you may want to rethink your cartridge choice.

Mayhaps something along the lines of 7mm-08.
Yeah, muzzle velocity will be less that the 280AI, but so will recoil.
Otherwise I fear the rifle will sit tucked away in some forgotten corner with your daughter saying "yeah, that was Dad's rifle".

I don’t know what your idea of a fine custom rifle is, but a Cleveland Hoffman Arms co rifle would be the pinnacle of fine American firearms. Many double rifles are chambered in straight walled cartridges. If you’re going to commission a custom rifle, make sure they’re a member of the American Custom Gunmakers Guild. When you receive advice keep in mind that most folks think a rifle with all the handling characteristics of a portapotty is a fine hunting rifle.

I don’t know what your idea of a fine custom rifle is, but a Cleveland Hoffman Arms co rifle would be the pinnacle of fine American firearms. Many double rifles are chambered in straight walled cartridges. If you’re going to commission a custom rifle, make sure they’re a member of the American Custom Gunmakers Guild. When you receive advice keep in mind that most folks think a rifle with all the handling characteristics of a portapotty is a fine hunting rifle.
I’m more of a greyhound buss potty kind of guy.

I thought I’d follow up on this post now that I’m finished! I really appreciate all the help and suggestions and it made me realize I wasn’t going to find exactly what I wanted.

A big thank you to @Addicting for let me shoot some of his rifles and talking me through the building process.

On December 15 my wife and I did some shots and hit pay on our final balance. We’re realizing it’s hard to spend money after being so frugal for so long and so I wasn’t comfortable going full custom yet. I ended up with a kind of package deal on three guns that I’m really happy with and meet what I’m looking for in terms of functionality and sentimentality:

1. Model 70 Featherweight in .280 AI with a VX5 2-10.

2. Marlin 336 RC in 30/30 from 1948 (first year made).

3. Remington 141 in .35 Rem from 1936 (first year made). Whoever drilled and tapped this also removed the rear sight, so I need to figure out what to do with it.

I grew up looking at the 336 in my grandpa’s gun case up in Northern Michigan and inherited a old Remington 870 Wingmaster and Remington 572 .22 from him, so the bottom two rifles sort of bring it full circle with the 336 and the pump-action Remington.

Attachments

• 29F5F51A-6296-476F-8B63-7C27463FE491.jpeg
    29F5F51A-6296-476F-8B63-7C27463FE491.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 14
Kinda gotta appreciate what you bought here. I hope they bring you a lot of joy for a lot of season.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back