Spur of the moment

For the Day 5 afternoon hunt, I head back up the slope to the top, to an area about a 1/4 mile west of the spooked elk herd. Unless they vacated the terrain, it looks like there was a finger of timber that extended up into the talus that they may have re-bedded in. If so, I figure it’s 50/50 they work my way in the afternoon. Good enough odds for me. After working up about 1/2 way with the wind at my back, I pause until about 5:30 pm for the wind to slacken before getting near my final location. I work through a small burn full of elk tracks and finally get to the talus base once more. I stand at a point where three draws come together, with great shot lanes in all directions. I’m pumped… but, and I’ll save any
drama, the elk aren’t. Nothing stirs or bugles into darkness. Bummer. Day 5 is over.

On the way back down by headlamp, I contemplate whether I am going to hunt a day 6 or head home. Realistically, I am pretty tired and concerned that if I get an elk on the last possible day, I could be in for a world of hurt, a late arrival home, issues at work, etc. But it also feels pretty lame to come
all this way, get on good elk, and pull up short without trying one last time. With a partner I would definitely stay. By myself, I come to the conclusion that I have already had a great hunt, great encounters, learned some new areas, and am safe and in one piece still - AND I didn’t even have to pack meat for 2 days, LOL. Ultimately, I am already recharged and fulfilled by this quick
adventure, and decide that the elk will be there for me next year.

Besides… I just may have a little side trip I have been meaning to make on the way home. A place I have not been back to in 23 years. So off I go driving into the night.

The area I’m in interested in seeing once more is very different than the mountain habitats of this week. I have been contemplating hunt opportunities there if for nothing else than the scenery. It’s on the way home, I can be there a little after midnight and do some scouting around for a couple hours in the morning. Oh… and it’s also an OTC archery elk unit…. just not many elk there.

On the drive, I am seeing a bunch of deer by headlight. A monster was standing on the road right in town limits. A couple others definitely stand out…. Colorado still grows deer. what do you think of these, one was even on public!

And finally….. although I have no picture… I lucked into something very unexpected…. I spied an elk in this very atypical unit, a rare find. It took me passing by and THINKING I saw an elk at about 1 am out of the corner of my eye and then after parking for the night about 10 miles away but being unable to sleep unless I confirmed it. So I drove all the way back to where I thought I saw it and BINGO, there IS an elk out there. On public…..

Hmmmm…. morning plans anyone? I believe there is still time for a day 6 hunt!

Last edited:
After confirming the elk, I parked for the night on a parcel of public about 1/4 mile from some elky looking habitat (at least from the aerial). I had located a potential water source and planned to be there first thing in the morning. I was pretty excited just to see this country. Some coyotes yipped in the clear night air as I fell asleep hoping to hear a distant bugle…

At about 5:30 am, I was awoken by the alarm and I grabbed my things and hiked through the darkness to my chosen spot. I took up a position on the corner of a watering area and waited for daylight. As light encroached, I ranged a few objects to find some shooting lanes out to 50 yards or so. There were several good looking approaches I had covered. I gave 2 or 3 lonely cow chirps to announce all was well to any listening elk. The sunrise did not dissapoint! The area was beautiful. Juniper hills and small valleys between them looked inviting for game. I really expected to see elk, deer, or antelope at any minute. All that came in were some ducks to splash around for a bath, and tons of mosquitos. I was not prepared for that. There is only so much one can take. I “hunted” on day 6 for about an hour. No elk today, but well worth the effort. Elk were definitely using the water, as there were many fresh tracks at the edge, along with deer and a couple cattle. If I had a week to explore this country, no doubt I would learn a lot. As it is, time to go. But I’ll be back here sooner than another 23 years!

The long drive ensued…. CO, KS, MO, IL……

In an interesting statistical followup to my hotel trip on the way out, I can confidently report that the odds of me sharing hotel rooms in the midwest with brown recluse spiders is 100%. As I tried sleeping for a few hours in Illinois , I felt something crawling on my neck! 😬😬😬😬

I jumped up, flipped the light, and shook out my pillow and this toxic bedfellow came running….

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NMArcheryCoues24
Back